This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Force specific Clients to use transparent HTTP Proxy

Hello,

I have setup the Sophos UTM 9,5 for my Home Network. Ground configuration was done by the Auto Wizard. Clients get DHCP configuration from UTM. GW / DNS for Clients is the Internal UTM IP Address. Under Network Services - DHCP I add static all the Internal Devices like TV, Multimedia PC, iPhones etc. 

When I connect from my PC to Internet I can surf with Proxy Port 8080 and without Proxy...

How can I define for specific clients that they have to go through the proxy?

Thx

Sally

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

In the configuration with "transparent mode" are all routed via https - see "Allowed Networks" under Web Protection -> Webfilter-> Global.
    An exception is the "Bypass Users" under WebProtection -> Filtering option or "Skip Transparent Sourcec ..." under WebProtection -> Filtering option -> Misc

• Hello Ulf,

thanks for your answer. Internal Allowed Networks under Web Protection -> Web filter -> Global / Transparent Mode / Authentication None is defined.

Firewall Rule:

Internal -> Web Surfing (Services HTTP Proxy, HTTP, HTTP WEB Cache, HTTPS) ->Any

What I not yet really understand is, how can I assure that for some devices the traffic really go to the HTTP / HTTPS Proxy? Do I have to adapt also the Firewall Rule?

Thx

Sally

• Hi,

if you define the network -> Global under "Default Web Filter Profile" / "Allowed Networks", eg "internal network" under Web Protection -> Web filter -> Global, all clients in the network are defined according to "Default Web Filter Profile "Under Web Protection -> Web filter ->" Web Filter Profiles ".

In the "Skip Transparent Source ..." under WebProtection -> Filtering option -> Misc  will IPs, URLs and networks ... not be subject to the transparent interception of HTTP/S traffic - allow unproxied to Internet.

Allow HTTP/S traffic for listed hosts/nets must be activated.

You do not need a new firewall rule
    The standard FW-Rule internal -> Web Surfing -> Internet IPv4 vs any is sufficient.

• Hi,

if you define the network -> Global under "Default Web Filter Profile" / "Allowed Networks", eg "internal network" under Web Protection -> Web filter -> Global, all clients in the network are defined according to "Default Web Filter Profile "Under Web Protection -> Web filter ->" Web Filter Profiles ".

In the "Skip Transparent Source ..." under WebProtection -> Filtering option -> Misc  will IPs, URLs and networks ... not be subject to the transparent interception of HTTP/S traffic - allow unproxied to Internet.

Allow HTTP/S traffic for listed hosts/nets must be activated.

You do not need a new firewall rule
    The standard FW-Rule internal -> Web Surfing -> Internet IPv4 vs any is sufficient.

Children
  • Hi Ulf,

thanks for the detailed information. To reach my external Webserver with Public IP / Port 8443, I set an FW Rule to allow from Internal Network -> Service 8443 -> Any, and this works fine. When I set in Safari Browser, http / https proxy manually to FW IP / Port 8080  (UTM is still in Transparent Proxy Mode) , then I get the Error:

An error occurred while handling your request

While trying to retrieve the URL:
    The content could not be delivered due to the following condition:
    Target service not allowed

When I set in Safari to use explizit no Proxy then I reach the web server without. What are the Client settings in Transparent Mode, just no proxy or auto proxy discovery?

Thanks a Lot!

Regards
    Sally

• Target service not allowed

There's your answer. You need to allow port 8443 through your proxy. Web Protection - Filtering Options - Misc

But you're internal are you not? Why access the external IP from inside?

• Hi,

yes, I'm internal but the web server is hosted by external provider so I connect to external ip. I was thinking it is enough, to only set Firewall Rule from Internal 8443 to Internet to reach my server. So I will also add the Port to Misc.

Thx

Sally

• You need at least a "Web Surfing" or "http/s" firewall rule when you do not use the button "Allow HTTP/S traffic for listed hosts/nets". My trainers in the UTM certification courses warned me to use this checkbox, because you automatically allow any traffic for all skipped networks/hosts, which in some cases is not that what is planned.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• Hi Kevin, 

thanks, the checkbox Allow HTTP/S traffic for listed hosts/nets was marked, so I disabled this yet. Do you have some other Tipps from the courses regarding best Proxy Settings?

Regards

Sally