This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intermittent connection/access to file server

I have the following set up for my home network:

A) Incoming Internet (ISP Modem)----> Sophos UTM ----> WiFi Router
                                                                                                                                       /             \
                                                                                                All wireless devices         File Server/Wired connections

The Wi-Fi router is in "Access-Point only" (AP) mode, which, as I understand it, causes it to behave like a wired/wireless switch (IP filtering, DHCP, etc. are all disabled), and it is properly wired to the UTM via one of its LAN ports.  This allows the UTM to take over the heavy-lifting (firewalling, DHCP, etc.).

Now for the interesting part.  I have been struggling with gaining consistent, quality access to my file server...it is intermittent at best.  Here's what I've done so far:

1)  After doing some detective work, I found that at first this was likely caused by a DHCP conflict:  for some reason, DirecTV insisted on snatching the same IP as my file server... despite explicit DHCP rules in the UTM assigning one IP to DirecTV and another to the file server, AND the proper IP being hard-coded into the DirecTV receiver!  I found out that since I was doing static routing, the IP's I assigned through DHCP needed to be outside the range provided for other devices connecting to the network, so that might be an explanation (but it's an odd one to me, as I didn't have to do that with my router).  So I fixed that, and no more rebellious DirecTV.

2)  After still being plagued with intermittent connections to the file server, I set up firewall rules, establishing a group of hosts (PCs/laptops, etc.) allowed access to the file server, and then setting an "allow" rule for that group.  I also set exceptions in the network intrusion policy for traffic going back and forth between this allowed group and the file server, thinking that should prevent slowdowns (hopefully I shouldn't need to worry about intra-network traffic between network hosts and the file server!).  However, I'm still suffering from intermittent access.

Now, from other posts/research on this forum, I was told that for my situation, this alternative configuration is actually the most optimal:

B) Incoming Internet (ISP Modem)----> Sophos UTM (MULTI-NIC mini PC)
                                                                                               (eth port 1)            (eth port 2)
                                                                                                       /                               \
                                                                                          Wi-Fi Router                      File Server
                                                                                                  /
                                                                                 All wireless devices

So I began to wonder if that might have an impact.  I actually tried it:  I defined a new interface in the UTM so that I could plug the File Server into eth2, and then did so...but the UTM did not like that; it froze and became unresponsive, even after several reboots.  I was eventually forced to do a complete reinstall of Sophos on the UTM PC and reconstruct all of my rules/policies, as I hadn't done a backup (I was still experimenting).  Needless to say, I'm NOT trying that again. 

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks!

***UPDATE/EDIT:***  I'm noticing that another time I'm suffering from failed access to network drives on the file server is shortly after computer wakeup...I have to wait several minutes before I can actually gain access.  Could that be related or is that a separate issue (i.e., do I have to worry about any wake-on-lan settings that may be on the UTM?)?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • 1) Unlike a Windows DHCP server, the service in the UTM requires that fixed IPs be outside the dynamically-assigned range.  There are no "reservations" in the UTM.

2) Traffic between devices in "Internal (Network)" should not pass through the UTM.

I don't think the problem is in the UTM once you've fixed your DHCP configuration.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello BAlfson...thanks for your response!

I didn't know that the UTM was different regarding fixed IPs/DHCP handling...duly noted!  I'm learning.  :-D

2) Traffic between devices in "Internal (Network)" should not pass through the UTM.

I'm not sure, but isn't that what's happening by default if the WiFi router is now in simple Access Point mode?  Or are there explicit rules I need to define regarding this?  I already have rules in place granting an exception for Intrusion Prevention measures to File Server traffic...should I remove those?  (based on what you're telling me, they aren't performing the needed function anyway...they have to do with network protection, not traffic routing, right?)

Now, another update:  I rebooted everything--WiFi router, UTM, and my PC...ever since then, I've been having pretty good access to the file server...no hiccups so far.  It's possible everything just needed to be refreshed, but it's gone on the blink before.  I'll continue to keep everyone posted.

• Hello BAlfson...thanks for your response!

I didn't know that the UTM was different regarding fixed IPs/DHCP handling...duly noted!  I'm learning.  :-D

I'm not sure, but isn't that what's happening by default if the WiFi router is now in simple Access Point mode?  Or are there explicit rules I need to define regarding this?  I already have rules in place granting an exception for Intrusion Prevention measures to File Server traffic...should I remove those?  (based on what you're telling me, they aren't performing the needed function anyway...they have to do with network protection, not traffic routing, right?)

Now, another update:  I rebooted everything--WiFi router, UTM, and my PC...ever since then, I've been having pretty good access to the file server...no hiccups so far.  It's possible everything just needed to be refreshed, but it's gone on the blink before.  I'll continue to keep everyone posted.

Children
No Data