This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Very frequent pattern updates stated 2017/06/26

On 2017/06/26 my ASG120 went from 1 or 2 pattern updates a week to 10 or 20 a day.  Firmware is 9.501-5.  Pattern version is 9.24013.  Yes,I know this is an old model firewall.  As far as I can tell everything is working.  Should I be concerned about large number of pattern updates?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Depending on what is activated, different pattern sets are downloaded for different UTMs.  How do you know that this went from 1 or 2 a week to 10-to-20 per day?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob,

I know how many pattern updates are installed per day because I have the Daily Executive Report emailed to me and can see the daily update counts in it.  I was alerted to the concern when I started getting many emails reporting pattern updates per day rather than the occasional one.  I turned off the emails.  The pattern updates seemed to increase in frequency with installation of firmware 9.501-5, which I guess means UTM 9.   If the current frequency is normal I will stop being concerned.

Thanks,

Dean

• Hi,

the number  of updates differs depending on your update frequency choice and your utm features.

I would check your up2date log to make sure you are not seeing a failed download continually downloading.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Update frequency and UTM features were not changed.  The only change was new firmware 9.501-5.  The pattern numbers are increasing and not duplicated.  No failed updates were reported.

• That would imply a largee number of updates to counter the recent release of all those nasties.

Keep an eye out to see if the frequency drops which should happen as most the current batch of nasties have been identified.

Looking at my own daily reports, I think the up2date process has changed significantly. I used to get around 96 attempts and 23 to 40 updates, now is is over 500 attempts and 230 actual updates. Again like you I have not changed the configuration.

Maybe balfson who is a moderator and reseller might be able to shed some light on the subject?

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• I looked at two sets of monthly reports.  Both showed 700+ attempts for November and December with about 10% resulting in a pattern update.  I found 10% of those numbers for May, so it looks from here as if pattern updates are decreasing instead of increasing.  Both units are on 9.414.  None of my clients are at 9.5 and only a few are at 9.414 - 9.413 is my recommended version for now.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

my updates frequency returned to normal for yesterday between 82 and 92 requests and 25 updates.

I am running the latest version.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Hi Bob,

my updates frequency returned to normal for yesterday between 82 and 92 requests and 25 updates.

I am running the latest version.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

Children
No Data