This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upload shaping - what is wrong in my configuration

hi Community!

I have a problem with setting up traffic shaping on my UTM. I want to restrict the bandwidth for my Synology Diskstation, especially the upload bandwidth to my Amazon and Google Drives. I also read a few forum posts that describes how it's done. But still my Diskstation is using more upload bandwidth than I set up on my UTM. Here are my settings and I'll be happy if someone could give me a hint what I did wrong.

Here is the definition of the source server (my Diskstation):

Here are the QoS settings:

The external interface:

I also put the setting to the internal interface ... just in case:

As mentioned above ... it's doesn't work. [:'(]My Diskstation still uses more bandwidth than it should.
So, what am I doing wrong?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Matthias,

I just set this up for a similar reason on our UTM.

One problem I notice is that in your bandwidth pool, I think you are using the wrong figure. You entered 10 kbps. Use google to convert from Mbit/sec to kbps if needed. If your uplink bandwidth is 10 Mbit/sec and you want to limit traffic to 1 Mbit/sec for example (10%), then you would want to enter 1024 kbps I believe.

Also, keep the first figure "Bandwidth (kbit/s)" small, such as what you have "10" and then set the other one for your upper limit --> 1024 kbps. The first figure is the "guaranteed" bandwidth and the second figure is the upper limit. You don't want to guarantee anything I think... but you do want to ensure it never exceeds your ceiling.

Hope this helps.

• Hi Kevin,

thank you for your reply. The 10 kbps are set intentionally, bus just for testing. I wanted to set a very slow speed to see a significant drop in the bandwidth. Later I wanted to change it to around 5Mbit/s. 
    I also had the minimum set to 10 and the maximum to 100, but still the Diskstation uses much more bandwidth than it should.

• I think I got a little closer to the solution. For testing I changed the traffic selector on the external interface to "Any->Any->Any" and 1024 kbps ... and ... all traffic was cut to 1Mbit/s. So in general the solution works, but I think that the traffic selector doesn't recognize my Diskstation as the source of the traffic. My next steps are to take a look into the traffic selector and I'll try to find out how I and separate the Diskstaion's traffic from the rest of my network. 

• There may be some bug related to this. I too found issues when I had anything specific listed in the Source for traffic selector. When I change it to Any it works, but I wasn't able to verify it was working with specific networks I was trying to use.

In my case Any was appropriate but sounds like you need something more specific.

As easy way to check if its working is to look at Logging-> Network Usage and check the interface it is supposed to be applied on. For example my application was using 100% of the pipe, so I throttled it to 50% and was able to verify it was working by looking at the graph (note: the graph seems to update only once per 5 minutes)

• tldr; Create an exception in webfiltering for Synology and the rule would work as expected.

Long reasoning:

Qos on Internal Network = Apply QoS to traffic leaving UTM towards Internal network/LAN and similarly

Qos on External Network = Apply QoS to traffic leaving UTM towards External network/Internet so your internal network rule is not doing anything.(I know you are just testing but wanted to clarify)

As far as your problem, you are applying QoS on external interface when the traffic is originating from Synology. The problem most people run into is when they are using webfiltering at the same time because the traffic reaching the external interface is not coming from synology but coming from http proxy so the QoS rule is not applied. Create an exception for Synology in webfiltering and your rule would work as expected.

If you have to use webfiltering, then you will have to use application control to throttle google drive and amazon. I generally prefer this method.

• Hi Matthias,

Of curse, Billybob gave you the answer to your question.  I just wanted to challenge your approach.

Instead of strictly limiting some traffic, I prefer the method of guaranteeing other traffic.  Assuming you have 10Mbps upload and you want to limit Diskstation uploads to 1Mbps when necessary.  In order, create the following Bandwidth Pools on the External interface:

1. Guarantee 100Kbps to Diskstation traffic.
    2. Guarantee 9Mbps to all traffic.

The Diskstation traffic qualifies for the first Pool so it is not considered for the second.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Matthias,

Create two traffic selectors:

1. ANY >ANY >Diskstation; append it on the bandwidth pool for the external interface.

2. Diskstation >ANY >ANY; append it on the bandwidth pool for the internal interface.

Any luck?

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi schin, can you please elaborate on the thinking involved in your suggestion because I have never been able to throttle incoming traffic on external interface and vice versa by using bandwidth pools.

• The trick is that you have to assign the Down/Up speeds of the External interface to the Up/Down (opposite) speeds of the Internal interface.

But you're right, Bill, if someone's downloading from a connection that can fill your pipe, it's sometimes not possible to get that limited upstream from you.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA