This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Routing HTTP(S) traffic outside of Site to Site SSL VPN

Hi,

We've only had our SG430 a few months and for the most part have figured out how to do what we want it to do. The one thing I cannot figure out is this.

We have an externally hosted website that internal users need to access, this external site also needs to be able to read data from an internal SQL server. The thought is that we would set up a site to site SSL VPN on the firewall which would allow the external server access over the SQL Protocol to the SQL Server only (no other access to the internal network, no other protocols allowed to the SQL server). We set up the VPN connection and are waited for the external hosting company to configure their end. We then noticed that internal users were suddenly unable to access the webserver via HTTP. When we did a tracert the traffic stopped at the firewall. It wasn't until we disabled the VPN connection that access was restored to the website.

It seems like the SSL VPN routing is sending all traffic destined for the external webserver via the VPN connection (regardless if it's connected or waiting connection), how do I separate the traffic so only SQL goes over the VPN and the HTTP traffic goes via the external interface.

I thought about doing some sort of load balancing or multi path thing, but the VPN connections don't show as interfaces so I'm not sure how to fix this.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able offer.

Regards,

Nick

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • This shouldn't happen if you only have internal ip-ranges in the VPN tunnel. Next your web-server should resolve to its public (external) IP-address.
    You can choose to go to the webserver by it's internal address but yes, then it can only go through the tunnel.

Perhaps you can show some screenshots of the VPN configuration at your end.

And is there a special reason for choosing site2site using SSL rather than IPSEC?

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• This shouldn't happen if you only have internal ip-ranges in the VPN tunnel. Next your web-server should resolve to its public (external) IP-address.
    You can choose to go to the webserver by it's internal address but yes, then it can only go through the tunnel.

Perhaps you can show some screenshots of the VPN configuration at your end.

And is there a special reason for choosing site2site using SSL rather than IPSEC?

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

Children
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response, Below is a snip of the VPN config

Thrall-ii (Internal SQL Server)

Moodle Host (External Webserver)

Static Peer IP is NOT part of our internal subnet it was just an easy IP to track if we needed to.

I've tried using the auto generate firewall rules and also creating my own firewall rules. Below is a snip of the current rules.

There was no specific reason to us SSL VPN over IPsec.

Regards,

Nick

• Your problem I think is in the local and remote networks specified.

In local networks you need to have only your SQL-server (which you have), in remote networks it needs the internal IP-address of the webserver (its local address not its external public address).

Your firewall rules should also use the local addresses of both sides (you want the webserver to talk to the SQL-server over the VPN which they should do over their local IP-addresses).

Also with the SSL-VPN you will always have additional addresses to deal with (SSL uses its own addresses it hands out to clients).

• Hi,

Ah ha! of course it's a tunnelled connection (face palm) that makes sense now, I've been using the external IP of the webserver. [:$]

I'll get in touch with the hosting company and get the internal IP. I did looking at the routing table with the VPN enabled that it was creating 2 additional routes one for the external IP and one for the static virtual IP both of which had a gateway IP from the VPN IP Pool I assume this is what you're referring to when you say additional addresses. I'm guessing the virtual static IP would only be needed it the webservers internal IP is in a range used by my site. If that is the case should the firewall rules reference the webservers internal IP or the virtual static IP ? 

Thanks for you help, it seems so obvious now.

Regards,

Nick