This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot open any ports via NAT or firewall rule but existing ones work?

Hi All - I am trying to enable remote access for the Plex server and it requires the opening of ports in the 32xx range. 

I enabled the following DNAT rule: TCP 1:65535 → 32400.

Unfortunately the port remains closed when testing using this site and on Plex Server's network config:
Open Port Check Tool

I tried a variety of port numbers and none of them seemed to work which is very baffling. As a last resort, I tried some common port used by RDP such as 3389 and the connection worked....

Lastly, I am also using the following rule on my UTM:

Internal (Network) -> any -> any

I've also reviewed the firewall log and below is the dropped packet:

2015:10:19-12:30:19 homestation ulogd[6592]: id="2001" severity="info" sys="SecureNet" sub="packetfilter" name="Packet dropped" action="drop" fwrule="60001" initf="ppp0" srcip="54.193.168.189" dstip="24.140.238.16" proto="6" length="60" tos="0x00" prec="0x00" ttl="47" srcport="2985" dstport="32400" tcpflags="SYN"

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi team,

me too have truble with plex.

I'm read many thread for plex.

My configuration:

Web Filtering is enable, i'm testing without.

I tear my hair......

• Hi,

It plex thats buggy.  Make sure everything is set like you described.

then set port in plex ,click apply, WAIT patiently, you then get the screen as you show, now LOGOUT of plex (yes logout) log back in and go to the settings again it should appaer as working.

Oddly enough just restarting plex doesnt work. 

I just tried this a few times as i had my port set to 32400 first but wanted to test it. you do need to logout plex and log back in. 

and your settings are correct! you can ignore balfson (with all respect and its good advice) plex is just a weird thing. try the logging in and out of plex should work tested it here 5 times.

it is true what balfson said that if you just use external a device to connect to plex it will work apparently the plex test is very very odd and buggy and many users bang their head on that plextest screen.

• hi,

i did not do that and have ips on and plex still works. 

You did try with external device ? (mobile or so) as the plex test page will always crap out (making again necessary to reboot plex or  logout  log in)

What appears in the utm log ?

• It is no longer accessible from my smartphone

I do not know or look there's a lot of option for logs

• I'm use plex server Version 1.5.6.3790 on windows, Windows and UTM en with VMWare for testinf before deployment

• To find out what's blocking plex, do #1 in Rulz.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi, for logs I have:

IP: 54.229.139.33 she's from Irland but country blocked with firewall

I have rule:

• IP: 54.229.139.33
    Decimal: 921013025
    Hostname: ec2-54-229-139-33.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
    ASN: 16509
    ISP: Amazon.com
    Organization: Amazon.com
    Services: None detected
    Type: Broadband
    Assignment: Static IP
    Blacklist:

Geolocation Information

Continent: Europe
    State/Region: Leinster
    City: Dublin
    Latitude: 53.3389  (53° 20′ 20.04″ N)
    Longitude: -6.2595  (6° 15′ 34.20″ W)
  • Is port 32400 in your "Web Surfing" definition?  The blockage we're seeing doesn't come from "Plex_Server" - it should be for traffic going to your server.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi,

Re-verify all your rules everywhere. :)

Also more importantly plex uses that amazon ip for connectivity and metadata exchange however that is not the only ip plex uses it uses more servers then just that ip from different locations (unknown ip's as plex does not want to give the ip's out

! However it does look like the blocked port 32400 from plex central to your server is going to 172.xxx.xxx.xxx was that an old plex ip server you had before ?  something odd happening there (as there is also a not blocked correct call to port 32600 to ip 192.xxx.xx.xxx do you have multiple dnat rules ? Does your plex server have more then one ip ? and so on.... check everything. there should be no call going to port 32400 anymore (also possible plex central thinks there are two servers) OR

are you using VPN to connect to your homenetwork then use plex ? 

172.xxx.xxx.xxx looks like a vpn network setup by utm (so missing rule). Use client plex without VPN it by magic finds your server as it talks to plex central and knows the external ip of your server (whic is the utm)

Bit hard to guess not knowing your complete setup.

• Hi team,

Indeed I have two other servers plex.
    They are connected on my internet box with upnp.

I disabled upnp and IP WAN from UTM to DMZ.

I do not have an IP VPN in 172.x.x.x.x.x

After work I will make a screenshot rule "Web surfing"

• Hi team,

screenshots:

Nat masquerading

Firewall rule

Reply Children