This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Yet again: Download Throttling

Hello everyone,
I know this has been covered a lot on this forum, and I have searched and read pretty much every post that contains useful information regarding download throttling, however I cannot seem to get it working.

Firstly, i want to know if my idea of 'Download Throttling' is correct...
Let's say I have 10 workstations behind my UTM, i wish to throttle each workstations internet download speed to 1meg.  I assume that the download throttling section of the UTM is what this is designed for?

This is how I have attempted to throttle my clients download speeds:
Firstly, I turned on QoS on my WAN adapter:

I then created a Traffic Selector, which will trigger when it sees traffic from the internet, on port 80, 443 heading to my internal network.
*edit* I understand now that this would not work due to port randomization during initial protocol handshaking between client & server.

The rule has been reversed.
*edit*

I then created the throttle rule named "Limit Web Traffic" to 512kbit/s (i put it really low so i could see that it was working)

Things to note:
I have tried this both with having the Web Filtering disabled and enabled in transparent mode, i have also tried creating throttling rules using the flow monitor - while this creates rules just like mine, they still do not function.

The results with the throttle rule active.

Do i have a configuration incorrect, or am i using this feature not as it was intended?

Thank you.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Okay so i have figured it out.

In order for download throttling to work, i needed to create a bandwidth pool on the same interface, i dont know why though...

I created a single bandwidth pool that looks for any->any->any, with an upper limit which is higher than my upload, then download rules started to work a treat.
  • Okay so i have figured it out.

In order for download throttling to work, i needed to create a bandwidth pool on the same interface, i dont know why though...

I created a single bandwidth pool that looks for any->any->any, with an upper limit which is higher than my upload, then download rules started to work a treat.
Children
No Data