This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Firewall possibly blocks PXE boot

Hello,

Our company has a problem regarding PXE boots using Windows Deployment Services. This is our situation:

Sophos UTM 9 firewall
network 192.168.252.0 > 192.168.220.0 Any IP protocol allow
network 192.168.220.0 > 192.168.252.0 Any IP protocol allow

DHCP: 192.168.252.100 - 192.168.252.200 
Option 66: \boot\x86\wdsnbp.com
Next server: 192.168.220.193

When I try to PXE boot from PC1, I get the error PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout. 
However when I try to download the \boot\x86\wdsnbp.com via CMD in Windows on PC0, it does work.
When viewing the Event Log on the WDS server, the file from PC0 was succesfully download. But there's no mention of a PXE boot from PC1, so the firewall is possibly blocking the PXE boot.

What might be the problem?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I finally have found a solution to this problem. I deleted the DHCP server and added it again with the exact same settings. Then I deleted all the DHCP options (67 and next server) and added Option 67 and next server again with the exact same configuration. This solved my problem, everything seems to work fine now.

I don't know why this fixed my problem but I guess it's some kind of bug in the Sophos firewall. Version: 9.207-19
  • Do you by chance have the potentially problematic /var/sec/chroot-dhcps/etc/dhcpd.conf so that it can be compared to the current version of the same file?
  • Do you by chance have the potentially problematic /var/sec/chroot-dhcps/etc/dhcpd.conf so that it can be compared to the current version of the same file?

If you could tell me where I can find this file, sure!
  • That was the full path and name for the file via the command line (ssh or console).

You likely want to talk to your support provider before using the command line.

Logging in brings up this warning:
    NOTE: Any modifications done by root will void your support.
          Please use WebAdmin for any configuration changes.