This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Country blocking exception not working

I'm running Firmware version: 9.303-2. I have Country Blocking turned on to some  countries, one of which is Netherlands.

When I try to go to: Yellow Bricks

I get this error:
Content blocked
While trying to retrieve the URL: Yellow Bricks
The content is blocked due to the following condition:
The URL you have requested matches a forbidden Country. If you think this is wrong, please contact your administrator.

I went to "Country Blocking Exceptions" and created a an exception called "Whitelist"

It says its set to:

skip blocking of these countries:
    [Netherlands] Netherlands
for traffic going to these destination networks:
    Whitelist 1
    Whitelist 2
    Whitelist 3
Using these services:
    Any

For the three networks, I've tried three things:

Name: Whitelist 1
Type: DNS Host
Hostname: Yellow Bricks

Name: Whitelist 2
Type: DNS Host
Hostname: yellow-bricks.com

Name: Whitelist 3
Type: Network
IPV4 address: 109.237.219.143 /32

None of them work. 

If I tell the country blocking list to allow Netherlands, it lets me access the site.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Arch

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, Arch and welcome to the User BB!

Please click on [Go Advanced] below and attach pictures of the three network definitions all open in Edit with 'Advanced' settings visible.

What's the reason for blocking traffic to the Netherlands?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob:

I hope I'm attaching these pictures correctly!

There was no particular reason for blocking traffic to the Netherlands. I was testing out the country blocking portion and it got picked with a bunch of others.

Arch
  • Let me save you some time, don't bother troubleshooting anymore, it's not you, it's Sophos' developers' not caring to fix it. I'm highly upset about this along with many others I am sure. Look at the post date on this...

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/54/p/41418/145428#145428

And YES it is STILL BROKEN on the latest builds!

“Stay paranoid, my friends.”

• Ohhhh...thanks!! I thought I was doing something wrong. I guess I'll hold off buying t for now as this was one of the features I liked.
  • Can't say I blame you, I was on the fence over this one as well for 2 reasons.

1. It's a feature I've wanted for a long long time, I was able to import CIDR blocks in my last firewall but it was tedious keeping up with the updates, so having this process automated is very appealing, IF it actually works.

2. Lack of response from developers on this is indicative of a much bigger problem. If you're going to have a feature and sell it, then it kinda needs to actually work (I'm crazy like that). If developers don't care to fix "known issues" on highly visible functions like this, then it doesn't exactly make end users want to rush out and buy "premium" support.

I went ahead and purchased the units but opted for standard support, because it's much cheaper. Not fixing these issues is costing them real money, I had fully intended on purchasing premium support and already had it approved from my superiors. I downgraded support because of this. I'm hoping to see improvement in their response time to these issues, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Hi, please open support cases about this; the last I'd seen was that it was being fixed for 9.3.

Barry
  • Barry,

I've got one open and have been trying their workarounds, so far still not working. I will update this thread as I receive more info.

I know I come across as very negative on this product. Actually, I'm blown away with it's capabilities and think it must have been an excellent UTM to begin with, or Sophos wouldn't have acquired it. My frustration is coming across this technology and then finding out the upkeep by it's new landlord appears to be sorely lacking. Bittersweet. I want this software to improve and am now invested in it doing so.

I am hoping Sophos management will give the developers and engineers the resources they need to make this thing the gold standard for security appliances.

For this particular issue though, this is just a GUI for some IP Tables and I'm puzzled why something as simple as saying "block these ranges EXCEPT for this IP" is so difficult for the developers to implement. It does make me question their capabilities.

• Can confirm that this feature still does not work under firmware version 9.304-9.
  • tms5d, thanks for updating us on this. I haven't updated yet, case is still open and any news I receive I will post here.