This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

statuscode="504" when attempting to reach one website

Sophos UTM9
Model:  ASG120 
Serial:  A170613AD6813B7 
Firmware version:  9.209-8 
Pattern version:  69778 

Hello,

When users inside our office try to go to www.murphymckay.com they are unable to reach the website.  This is our company website that is hosted on a 3rd party server.  I can reach this website from outside of our network.  I plugged a laptop directly into the ISP's cable modem, bypassing the Sophos, and I can reach the website.  Our firmware was a bit old so I updated the firmware and restarted the firewall.  I also unplugged the power cord for 30 seconds.  When computers try to do a nslookup for www.murphymckay.com they get the correct ip.  The Sophos also shows the correct ip when I go to tools and do a dns lookup.

The issue persists.  I also tried a few more things:
- went to web protection > web filtering > policy test > www.murphymckay.com and it says result = allowed

- turned off application control.  still unable to access website

- turned off web filtering.  Still can not access www.murphymckay.com
I have uploaded the screenshot of the error message that end users see.  The message says,

"An error occurred while handling your request.  While trying to retrieve the url: www.murphymckay.com the content could not be delivered due to the following condition: Connection to server timed out.  Your cache administrator: is administrator@murphymckay.com"

When I look at the web filtering log in the utm, I see this:

2014:11:06-10:36:04 sophosfirewall httpproxy[2034]: id="0002" severity="info" sys="SecureWeb" sub="http" name="web request blocked" action="block" method="GET" srcip="172.16.8.98" dstip="72.249.159.196" user="" statuscode="504" cached="0" profile="REF_DefaultHTTPProfile (Default Web Filter Profile)" filteraction="REF_DefaultHTTPCFFAction (Default content filter action)" size="2530" request="0xe6d7760" url="www.murphymckay.com/favicon.ico" exceptions="av,auth,mime,cache,fileextension,size" error="Connection to server timed out" authtime="0" dnstime="307" cattime="30380" avscantime="0" fullreqtime="60946574" device="0" auth="0" category="105" reputation="neutral" categoryname="Business" application="http" 

Does anyone know why this is happening just for this one website?  If anyone has any good steps to further troubleshoot this, I would appreciate it.

Andrew

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello I am getting same error while browsing 
    firstflight.net:8081/.../singleTracking.do

pls help me
  • Hi, Kautilya, and welcome to the User BB!

Andrew, I answered this on kautilya's thread.  I also had no trouble with the site you posted although there appears to be nothing at the URL listed in your log line above.

Cheers - Bob
    PS Part of our code of conduct here is that we don't double-post.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

I checked out the other thread, and for that thread you said "sometimes means that the site doesn't like the delay caused by AV scans".  In my case, I don't have antivirus turned on.  (See screenshot below for current system configuration). 

I added a web filter exception.  See screenshot.

I do have antispyware turned on.  I am not sure how to disable Antispyware, or if that is even partially related to my problem.

I saw your comment in the other thread regarding the proxy but I am not sure if that applies to me or how to "skip the proxy"

Can you please give me any tips for my next troubleshooting steps?

thanks,

Andrew
  • Andrew, I answered the same question on Kautilya's thread.

As to "why" this happens, I would like to know how to figure it out with using a packet capture.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

I was able to resolve the issue, thanks to your answer.  I had to make one extra step.

I went to UTM > web protection > filtering options > Misc tab > transparent mode skiplist > skip transparent mode destination hosts/nets
    I added an entry for the website

This did not immediately fix my problem.  I had to go and remove an exception that I had earlier put in for troubleshooting.  (This was in the exception tab.  I had previously made an exception list so that the website would not be subject to antivirus other content checks).

Once I added the transparent mode skiplist and removed my previous troubleshooting exception, my problem was fixed and I can access the website.

I consider this issue resolved.  Thanks again for your help.

Andrew
  • Hi Guys,

I have a similar problem with the website http://bluefishoffice.co.uk

I've tried with the skip transparent mode destination setting.

Then I've tried with the exception list

Then I've added the site to the trusted websites

When I test the policy from Web Filter Profiles -> test policy it says allowed but the user still gets this connection timeout error.

Who can help me?

• Hi, Mike, and welcome to the UTM Community!

Please show a representative line from the Web Filtering log, a picture of the Edit of the unsuccessful Exception and a picture of the Skip Transparent Mode setting.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi,

All is working now...I just have the transparent and exaction rules configured and without any further changes all of a sudden it started working.

Same when it stopped working we din't do any special changes...it just stopped working