This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNS Bench

Earlier today, I ran the The ICSI Netalyzr to see if it indicated any network issues. It mentioned some DNS issues, so I ran DNS Bench to see if it showed any DNS issues. When I ran DNS Bench, IPS flagged it as a threat.

Here is the email it sent me:

Advanced Threat Protection

A threat has been detected in your network
The source IP/host listed below was found to communicate with a potentially malicious site outside your company.

Details about the alert:

Threat name....: C2/Zbot-A (SID: 26267)
Details........: C2/Zbot-A - Viruses and Spyware - Web Threat, Virus and Spyware Detection and Removal | Sophos - Threat Center - Cloud Antivirus, Endpoint, UTM, Encryption, Mobile, DLP, Server, Web, Wireless Security, Network Storage and Next-Gen Firewall Solutions 
Time...........: 2014-08-18 14:38:25
Traffic blocked: no

I've never encountered any issues before, so I thought I'd scan the file for a virus. I uploaded it to virus total which indicated it is "probably harmless". The only indication otherwise is Antiy-AVL Trojan/Win32.SGeneric, which is probably a false positive. One of the 53 systems used to scan for viruses is Sophos, which doesn't detect anything.

I have no reason to believe DNS Bench is a bot net, so this appears to be a false positive. Has anyone ever used DNS Bench or have any comments on this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Just found out that 8.8.4.4 is much, much faster then 8.8.8.8...[:)]
    Different times of day will give different results. Also, look for uncached response times. Cached response times will almost always be faster for a server that is closer to you (fewer hops like your ISP server).