This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNS Bench

Earlier today, I ran the The ICSI Netalyzr to see if it indicated any network issues. It mentioned some DNS issues, so I ran DNS Bench to see if it showed any DNS issues. When I ran DNS Bench, IPS flagged it as a threat.

Here is the email it sent me:

Advanced Threat Protection

A threat has been detected in your network
The source IP/host listed below was found to communicate with a potentially malicious site outside your company.

Details about the alert:

Threat name....: C2/Zbot-A (SID: 26267)
Details........: C2/Zbot-A - Viruses and Spyware - Web Threat, Virus and Spyware Detection and Removal | Sophos - Threat Center - Cloud Antivirus, Endpoint, UTM, Encryption, Mobile, DLP, Server, Web, Wireless Security, Network Storage and Next-Gen Firewall Solutions 
Time...........: 2014-08-18 14:38:25
Traffic blocked: no

I've never encountered any issues before, so I thought I'd scan the file for a virus. I uploaded it to virus total which indicated it is "probably harmless". The only indication otherwise is Antiy-AVL Trojan/Win32.SGeneric, which is probably a false positive. One of the 53 systems used to scan for viruses is Sophos, which doesn't detect anything.

I have no reason to believe DNS Bench is a bot net, so this appears to be a false positive. Has anyone ever used DNS Bench or have any comments on this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Tools directly downloaded from grc can be trusted. I routinely use DNS Bench to troubleshoot "The Internet is Slow" issues, DNS bench having recently found a quirky one where one of the two google DNS servers were unreachable at one site, everywhere else it was fine. Some weird routing issue past the ISP's backbone was causing our local DNS server to timeout on every query then failback to the other google server. Meant that DNS queries normally handled in fractions of a second were taking 3-4sec to resolve, dramatically slowing down browsing.
  • Tools directly downloaded from grc can be trusted. I routinely use DNS Bench to troubleshoot "The Internet is Slow" issues, DNS bench having recently found a quirky one where one of the two google DNS servers were unreachable at one site, everywhere else it was fine. Some weird routing issue past the ISP's backbone was causing our local DNS server to timeout on every query then failback to the other google server. Meant that DNS queries normally handled in fractions of a second were taking 3-4sec to resolve, dramatically slowing down browsing.
Children
No Data