This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't open port to internal network

Hi,

I'm trying to open up couple of ports to my internal network but I can't seem to get it to work.

I'm using this tool to check if I've successfully managed to open port:

Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router

I've couple of firewall rules:

Internal (network) > Any > Any
Any > Port 5858 > Internal (Network)

I also have 1 masquerading rule:

Internal (Network) > External (WAN) 

Is there anything else I need to do?

I'm seeing this in firewall log:

17:56:30 Default DROP TCP 
69.163.149.200 : 55100 
 → 
My wan ip address : 5858 

[SYN] len=52 ttl=48 tos=0x00 srcmac=0:1d:70:af:a2[:D]a dstmac=0:1:2e:24:31:84 

Thanks for any help.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi There,

To properly port forward on Astaro, you need to create a DNAT entry in the router as well. That can be found beside masquerading under NAT in the Network Security Section.

Typically a DNAT entry for port forward should look like this:

Traffic Source: Any
    Traffic Service: (your chosen service)
    Traffic Destination: External (WAN) Address

NAT mode:  DNAT (Destination)

Destination: (IP of your internal server)
    Destination Service: (leave blank) 

The above would be for a basic port forward. If your external port is different then the internal port of your server, say you run a webserver at port 8080 to get around an ISP firewall but the server itself listens on port 80, you'll need to change the Destination Service to reflect that.
  • Hi,

I'm trying open port on firewall for all my internal network not just specific internal server.

Do I still need to create DNAT entry?
  • you ahve to forward the ports to something.  Even on those little riters you avhe to forward a port to comething you can't just open it and expect htings to route themselves.  W workaround is upnp but you won't find that on anything really security concious.  The little ritters can do upnp but again all they do is setup the port forwarding rules for you..and only on supported devices AND with supported software.  UPNP also now has been found to have serious security implcations on ritters that aren't updated..i've never liked upnp this jsut adds fuel to the fire:
    https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-389.htm
    http://information.rapid7.com/upnp-webcast-video-page.html  this is the original webcast about this issue.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Hi,

I appreciate all help so far.

I wanted to give some background on what I'm trying to do as I may be trying to configure wrong thing.

I have program called InSpeak on a few laptops. This program doesn't work (connection error) when my internet connection is protected by Sophos UTM. If I connect my laptop to ISP supplied router then InSpeak start's working again.

What's best way of getting this program working through Sophos UTM.
  • Hi,

I appreciate all help so far.

I wanted to give some background on what I'm trying to do as I may be trying to configure wrong thing.

I have program called InSpeak on a few laptops. This program doesn't work (connection error) when my internet connection is protected by Sophos UTM. If I connect my laptop to ISP supplied router then InSpeak start's working again.

What's best way of getting this program working through Sophos UTM.

The website is non useful....contact in speak and see if they support the use of socks proxy.  Their site doesn't list any kind of firewall settings or anything

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Hi, ukwalnuts, and welcome to the User BB!

Any > Port 5858 > Internal (Network)

That would have an effect only on traffic forwarded from "External (Address)" by a NAT rule, otherwise, no traffic will qualify for the traffic selector.
    17:56:30 Default DROP TCP 69.163.149.200 : 55100 → My wan ip address : 5858 [SYN] len=52 ttl=48 tos=0x00 srcmac=0:1d:70:af:a2[:D]a dstmac=0:1:2e:24:31:84

In general, don't bother posting an abbreviated line from the Live Log.  Copy the corresponding, complete line from the full log file.  In this case, the problem is obvious - lack of a NAT rule.

You might try what I call Rule #1 (enhanced):

Whenever something seems strange, always check the Intrusion Prevention,
    Application Control and Firewall logs.

Any luck?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA