This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Guide to connect PS3

I am sure there are posts on this but the one I read on it really was too advanced for me -- My question is for the PS3. I read a few threads on it and they just dont make sense ? ie pf -- ps3--any-any -- makes not sense to me, is there a better example perhaps explaining how to open up my ports to a ps3 that clearly shows what a pf is or how to set up a masq. I am a total newb to Astaro and see that its way more advanced than other firewalls yet more secure. if you can perhaps direct me I would really love to learn but as I said when i try to add this its always telling me theres a host with that name.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I have no PS3 and googled the information that i needed to write this guide. Basically, it seems that the PS3 needs be accessible from the internet to communicate with the PlayStation Network. I was not able to find any information about outgoing connctions, so i will allow all outgoing connections from the PS3. 

This guide should work, but i don't guarantee that.

There a few steps, i will describe them precisely.

1) Login as admin to your Astaro

2) Define a Host for the PS3

There a two possibilities. Either you use DHCP, or give a static IP-adress to the PS3. If you use DHCP, you should define a static lease for the PS3 (because if the DHCP-IP-Address changes, all rules for the ps3 won't work anymore).

If you use DHCP, follow the instructions 2a). If you do not use DHCP, skip that and go to 2b)

2a)

Open "Network Services" => "DHCP". Open the tab "Static Mappings". Click on "New DHCP Mapping"

Select DHCP Server, default is "Internal IPv4"
    MAC-Adress: Enter the Mac Address of your PS3 (should be on label or at manual, or case) format: 00:00:00:00:00:00
    IP-Address: Enter the (unused!) IP-Adress, that should be assigned to the PS3 (i will use 192.168.1.100 as example in this guide)
    Save

If you connect the PS3 now to the network, the IP-Address entered above should be assigned.

2b)

To use a static IP, configure the PS3 with an IP-Adress (in this guide i use 192.168.1.100 as example). DNS and Gateway: IP of the Astaro

3) configure the PS3 as Host

Go to "Definitions" => "Network" at the Astaro
    Click "New network definition" and enter the following

Name: PS3
    Type: Host
    Interface: Internal (however you named your LAN interface)
    IPv4-Address: 192.168.1.100 (the IP-Address of your PS3)

Save.

4) add services that are reachable by WAN

Go to "Definitions" => "Services"
    Click "New service definition"

Name: PS3_1
    Type of Definition: TCP
    Destination Port: 5223
    Source Port: 1:65535

Save. Then, add a new service

Name: PS3_2
    Type of Definition: UDP
    Destination Port: 3478:3479

Name: PS3_3
    Destination Port: 3658

Name: PS3_Servicegroup
    Type of Definition: Group
    Members: click on the folder icon, then drag and drop the following services into the member list:

PS3_1
    PS3_2
    PS3_3

Save. 

5) add a packet filter rule for outgoing traffic from PS3

Go to "Network Security" => "Packet filter"
    Click "New Rule"

Group: New Group, name it PS3 (optional for clarity)
    Position: Top
    Source: click folder icon and select PS3
    Service: Any
    Destination: Any
    Action: Allow
    Time Event: Always
    Log: unchecked
    Comment: (optional)

Save. Then enable the rule by clicking the grey circle left of the red circle.

6) add port forwarding for better network connectivity

Go to: "Network Security" => "NAT", then click the tab "DNAT/SNAT"
    click "New NAT rule"

Group: New Group named PS3 for clarity (optional)
    Traffic Source: Any 
    Traffic Service: click the folder icon and select "PS3_Servicegroup"
    Traffic Destination: click the folder icon and select "External (WAN) Address"
    NAT mode: DNAT
    Destination: click the folder icon and select "PS3"
    Destination Service: empty 
    Log initial packets: unchecked
    Automatic packet filter rule: checked (very important!!!)
    comment: (optional)

Save and enable the rule by clicking the grey circle left of the red circle.

7) Now you are ready to test it. Reboot the PS3 and try online gaming. Now it should be NAT Type 2 instead of 3.
  • Thank you so much. this Worked great and now that I have a feel for it i believe I can do this for other machines like my gameing PC for WoW.

so if I need additional ports for the ps_3 i just define them and add them to that group policy. 

thanks again this info should be a sticky here. it was easy to follow and well laid out my ps3 is running smooth.

but I was able to get NAT 2 when i just switched on the Packet filter and was able to log in to psn.
  • I have no PS3 and googled the information that i needed to write this guide. Basically, it seems that the PS3 needs be accessible from the internet to communicate with the PlayStation Network. I was not able to find any information about outgoing connctions, so i will allow all outgoing connections from the PS3. 

This guide should work, but i don't guarantee that.

There a few steps, i will describe them precisely.

1) Login as admin to your Astaro

2) Define a Host for the PS3

There a two possibilities. Either you use DHCP, or give a static IP-adress to the PS3. If you use DHCP, you should define a static lease for the PS3 (because if the DHCP-IP-Address changes, all rules for the ps3 won't work anymore).

If you use DHCP, follow the instructions 2a). If you do not use DHCP, skip that and go to 2b)

2a)

Open "Network Services" => "DHCP". Open the tab "Static Mappings". Click on "New DHCP Mapping"

Select DHCP Server, default is "Internal IPv4"
    MAC-Adress: Enter the Mac Address of your PS3 (should be on label or at manual, or case) format: 00:00:00:00:00:00
    IP-Address: Enter the (unused!) IP-Adress, that should be assigned to the PS3 (i will use 192.168.1.100 as example in this guide)
    Save

If you connect the PS3 now to the network, the IP-Address entered above should be assigned.

2b)

To use a static IP, configure the PS3 with an IP-Adress (in this guide i use 192.168.1.100 as example). DNS and Gateway: IP of the Astaro

3) configure the PS3 as Host

Go to "Definitions" => "Network" at the Astaro
    Click "New network definition" and enter the following

Name: PS3
    Type: Host
    Interface: Internal (however you named your LAN interface)
    IPv4-Address: 192.168.1.100 (the IP-Address of your PS3)

Save.

4) add services that are reachable by WAN

Go to "Definitions" => "Services"
    Click "New service definition"

Name: PS3_1
    Type of Definition: TCP
    Destination Port: 5223

Name: PS3_2
    Destination Port: 3478:3479

Name: PS3_3
    Destination Port: 3658

Name: PS3_Servicegroup
    Type of Definition: Group
    Members: click on the folder icon, then drag and drop the following services into the member list:

PS3_1
    PS3_2
    PS3_3

Save. 

5) add a packet filter rule for outgoing traffic from PS3

Go to "Network Security" => "Packet filter"
    Click "New Rule"

Group: New Group, name it PS3 (optional for clarity)
    Source: click folder icon and select PS3
    Service: Any
    Destination: Any
    Action: Allow
    Time Event: Always
    Log: unchecked
    Comment: (optional)

Save. Then enable the rule by clicking the grey circle left of the red circle.

6) add port forwarding for better network connectivity

Go to: "Network Security" => "NAT", then click the tab "DNAT/SNAT"
    click "New NAT rule"

Group: New Group named PS3 for clarity (optional)
    Traffic Source: Any 
    Traffic Service: click the folder icon and select "PS3_Servicegroup"
    Traffic Destination: click the folder icon and select "External (WAN) Address"
    NAT mode: DNAT
    Destination: click the folder icon and select "PS3"
    Destination Service: empty 
    Log initial packets: unchecked
    Automatic packet filter rule: checked (very important!!!)
    comment: (optional)

Save and enable the rule by clicking the grey circle left of the red circle.

7) Now you are ready to test it. Reboot the PS3 and try online gaming. Now it should be NAT Type 2 instead of 3.

PS3_1 should be TCP/UDP in order for netflix to work
  • I did the above and it worked for ASG 8.0.  I could log into the playstation network, and view Netflix movies if I turned off the HTTP content proxy (that part of it needs work).  I presume that I need to get fully-transparent proxy working.

Anyway, when I upgraded to ASG 8.1, it stopped working.  Looking at the logs did not reveal the cause yet.  Has anyone else solved this problem?
  • I too am not longer able to access the PS3 network from the PS3 after the upgrade to 8.1 from 8.003.
  • Same here. My first thoght was that the PS3 firmware update 3.56 is bugged. I tried every hint given here in the forum to solve the problem - no success :-(
  • i had to reinstall back to 8.003
  • After reading this thread, I decided to test my PS3 this morning.

With no special rules applied and v 8.1, I do get a NAT2 out of the device.

Ray
  • Please fix this PS3 bug ASAP!
    An unhappy Platinum licensed customer!
  • JML:  If you are a licensed customer, call in to Astaro Support and let them know your issue with PS3.  That way they'll know 100% that there's an issue which needs looking into.  Just posting here on a user-to-user forum, there's only a small chance that someone from Astaro will happen to notice this thread.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1