This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Strange IPMasq Problem

I have configured a asl 4.0 as Gateway for my Home LAN (Internal IP 192.168.0.1, External pptp, Austrian ADSL), Activated IP-Masquerading and set a Filter rule (Internal Network -> Any Servie, Any Server->allow)
Some Websites work, some don´t. I tried www.heise.de, the browser said "contacted", but nothing else happend. The same with www.gmx.net, but no Problem with www.chip.de or my private hp. The live log showed nothing! Using the Proxyserver, everythings works fine. Does anybody know  this strange behaviour? Greetings, Maxi  

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I'm not sure I completly understand: Do you get problems browsing just when you use the http proxy, or when you don't use the http proxy? If it is when you are using the proxy, what mode do you have it configured in?

Cheers,

Karl 
  • Hello Karl!
    The Problem occurs when i use IP-Masquerading. Using the Proxyserver everythings works fine. 

• Do you have problems with any other services when IP Masq is configured (ie: do you have problems collecting or sending e-mail?)

Cheers,

Karl 
  • No, no problems sending and receiving Mails via smtp and pop (But maybe with other Email-providers. Pining the hosts is also possible. telnet sessions are  working.
    My private email-adress is on a server of a friend of mine. Its an apache server on a suse linux box. Opening the url of my personal homepage works fine. But on the same server is also Usermin (same URL, Port 81) running, which I use for checking my emails, when i´m not at home: I am not able to open the Url of the Usermin-Interface. But again, using the ASL-proxy, it works. Is it possible, that every Webserver, that wants to set a cookie or some other kind of session-ID, is the trouble-maker?

Greetings, maxi  
  • If you were having problems when you *were* using the proxy, then I'd say maybe (depending on config), but as you are, probably not.

Are you configuring your browser to use the proxy manually, or are you using thr transparent mode? If manual, are you removing the config when you switch the proxy off? 
  • I am using the proxy manually, so i added the Proxy-Adress and the Port (8080) in the IE-Config.... But something else happened: When I changed the IP-Adress of my internal Network adapater from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 (I  wanted to run some PPTP-VPN Tunnel tests, so i had to change it), IP-Masquerding stopped working completely! I removed all Firewall-Rules, removed the NAT-Settings, made a reboot, but i couldn´t  get it back to work. (ButThe Proxyserver is still working.)  Maybe the PPTP-ADSL Support is the Problem? I know that there are  some Linux-Firewalls, where pptp-Adsl is  not supportet or experimental.
    When i testet the ASL inside my LAN (with different private IP-Adresses on every Network-Adapter) i had not had any problems...Trying  about 7 hours to get this Firewall to work  with this results as today is really frustrating...:-(
    Greetings, Maxi  
  • so after the latest change, is it just http that doesn't work at all through IP Masq, or all protocols? 
  • As far as i can see there are some sites, which don´t work. SMTP and POP with my Provider was no Problem, also Telnet to several Hosts worked

• maxi2,

your problem sounds really weird but some suggestions may help to find the track

• please check the mtu value on the external interface; REPORTING/HARDWARE 
    •  please let us know if you are connected via PPPoA or PPPoE or Ethernet via DSL router 
    • Are there any aldditional addresses configured at the external interface? If yes set the  default gateway to none and the networkmask to 32 bit (aliases only)
    • are there any conflicting SNAT/DNAT rules? 

• If everything works fine using the proxy except port 81 for example you would have to  assure that the proxy is allowed to access this port
    [/list] 

so far for now
    o|iver