This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FWRULE="60001" issue on one mail sender from one IP address

One of our suppliers can no longer send us email.  Checked the mail manager to see if they had been blocked there, but no sign of anything from them.

Checked the firewall log and saw this:

2020:03:18-11:51:33 athens ulogd[11647]: id="2001" severity="info" sys="SecureNet" sub="packetfilter" name="Packet dropped" action="drop" fwrule="60001" 
initf="ppp0" srcip="198.XXX.104.XXX" dstip="64.XXX.210.XXX" proto="6" length="40" tos="0x00" prec="0x00" ttl="56" srcport="25" dstport="63933" tcpflags="RST"

We have no problems receiving emails from other clients/suppliers.

I do have a blackhole rule for those who repeatedly SPAM us, or attempt to breach our SMTP, IMAP, etc despite being warned.
The "srcip" from above is not included in those defined network ranges.

Mail from this sender was being recd ok up until the 13th of this month (albeit from a different IP, but both IP's are listed in their SPF record, and the srcip is
listed as the MX for this domain).

Anyone got their secret decoder ring handy? What have I (or they, the sender) done wrong?

Tks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hallo David,

That's an RST packet and such default drops are a regular part of TCP.  That you didn't show us some other firewall line leads me to think that you're using the SMTP Proxy, so that's the log we need to look at.  If so, then what do you see about this domain on the 'SMTP Log' tab in Mail Manager?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hallo David,

That's an RST packet and such default drops are a regular part of TCP.  That you didn't show us some other firewall line leads me to think that you're using the SMTP Proxy, so that's the log we need to look at.  If so, then what do you see about this domain on the 'SMTP Log' tab in Mail Manager?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data