This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IPS Exception not working

Hi,

I have problems with IPS in UTM, the UTM handles IPSEC traffic with VEEAM backup and Replication, and triggers this:

2019:09:10-02:55:51 mail-2 snort[13000]: id="2101" severity="warn" sys="SecureNet" sub="ips" name="Intrusion protection alert" action="drop" reason="MALWARE-OTHER Ransomware SamSam variant detected" group="500" srcip="192.168.11.20" dstip="192.168.10.31" proto="6" srcport="902" dstport="53906" sid="48814" class="A Network Trojan was Detected" priority="1" generator="1" msgid="0"
2019:09:10-02:58:23 mail-2 snort[13000]: id="2101" severity="warn" sys="SecureNet" sub="ips" name="Intrusion protection alert" action="drop" reason="MALWARE-OTHER Ransomware SamSam variant detected" group="500" srcip="192.168.11.20" dstip="192.168.10.31" proto="6" srcport="902" dstport="53946" sid="48814" class="A Network Trojan was Detected" priority="1" generator="1" msgid="0"

192.168.11.20 is a VMWARE ESXi server
192.168.10.31 is a Veeam Server (Windows)

I have added this exception in the affected UTM:

But nothing helps :-(

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi  

I assume the network definition is not bound to any interface. With that in mind, would you please try changing the condition from AND to OR and see if that helps? (I know it sounds funny).

Regards

Jaydeep

• Hi  

Just tried, but still an issue, this one helps, but will drop the ID's permanently for all networks...

Not working:

-----

Best regards
    Martin

Sophos XGS 2100 @ Home | Sophos v20 Architect

• Hello Martin,

Just a silly thought... does VEEAM backup keep connections open all the time or does it start new connections everytime? IPS exceptions are applied to new connections, not existing ones.

If not sure, I think you can force it by disabling one of the interfaces, then re-enable.

Regards,

Karl-Heinz

• Hi,

Sorry the delay :-)

No unfortunately it's still the same. I rebooted veeam server also, with no effect, only thing that do work it the "advanced" pane and change the way it should report. 

I will commit to support ticket :-)

-----

Best regards
    Martin

• Hi Twister,

I'm experiencing the same issue at the moment.

Did you open a support ticket and find out anything?

Thanks in advance.

• Hi Hermann0,

Yes, support tried a lot, but finally found out, that when making IPS exceptions, I could not choose the service,but only the device, and to be sure with my traffic, we had to add them as here:

It did not look that it was something they would fix, as this works as designed, I was told :-)

I just needed to know it first:-)

-----

Best regards
    Martin

• Hi Martin,

very interesting. do you know if that concerned only IPS exception or maybe tcp/udp syn flood exception also?

greets

zaphod

Home: Zotac CI321 (8GB RAM / 120GB SSD)  with latest Sophos UTM
    Work: 2 SG430 Cluster / many other models like SG105/SG115/SG135/SG135w/...

• Hey guys,

before I create a new Topic I will add my question here because it should fit.

We have the same issue what seems a bit weird. The configuration is for me really easy to understand but it doesnt work.

Our example:

2020:05:13-10:55:36 sophos-1 ulogd[29081]: id="2105" severity="info" sys="SecureNet" sub="ips" name="UDP flood detected" action="UDP flood" fwrule="60013" initf="eth1" srcmac="Extern MAC" dstmac="Our MAC" srcip="Extern Public IP" dstip="Our Public IP" proto="17" length="132" tos="0x00" prec="0x00" ttl="59" srcport="691" dstport="27270"

In Short:

[...]name="UDP flood detected" [...] srcip="Extern Public IP" dstip="Our Public IP" [..] srcport="691" dstport="27270"

So for my understanding I have to set a rule like:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Action -> Skip UDP Flood Protection

Coming from these source... -> Extern Public IP

AND

Going to these destination... -> Our Public IP (Tried without this, too)

AND

Using these services -> 691

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For my understanding it's exaclty what the IPS is tend to block. But it doesnt seems to be better.

When I now add the "destination port" 27270, it start to work. But the problem is, that in some cases the destination port can vary.

Is that behaviour correctly "by design" that it only works while adding source "and" destination ports?

Thanks.

Flo

• Hallo Flo,

It look like you need a single, new Service definition like msexch-routing response = UDP 691->1:65535.

Did that work for you?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hey Bob,

I believe I never noticed the exatly description of the single entries in a service defination because "source port" is always fixed in a new Definition to "1:65535". So I dont cared about it cause it works. -.-'

Do you mean (yeah I know its what the logging is saying after you gave me the hint xD) when I switch both entries, it should work?

• Genau so, Flo !

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Reply Children