This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IPsec tunnel(s) randomly drop and forced to reboot the renegotiate

We have various Sophos UTM SG models (230, 210, 125) across multiple sites with IPsec VPN tunnels back to our headquarters (SG230) and we randomly have issues where a VPN tunnel will drop and the only way to renegotiate the tunnel is the reboot UTM at the remote site, disabling/enabling the connection on either or both sides does not resolve the issue. We've been fortunate that we've been able to resolve the issue by rebooting the remote site and not our HQ UTM, but I'm dreading that day if/when that happens.

All sites are running the latest firmware, version 9.605-1, and the tunnels are configured "AES-256 PFS" policy, and the remote gateways are of type "initiate connection", with a VPN ID type of "IP Address" with no optional VPN ID set. 

When this occurs the logs are not very helpful, here's the basic snippet that repeats over and over.

2019:09:04-10:35:00 connect-1 pluto[6899]: "S_REF_IpsSite_0" #163028: sending encrypted notification PAYLOAD_MALFORMED to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:500
2019:09:04-10:35:03 connect-1 pluto[6899]: "S_REF_IpsSite_0" #163028: next payload type of ISAKMP Identification Payload has an unknown value: 189
2019:09:04-10:35:03 connect-1 pluto[6899]: "S_REF_IpsSite_0" #163028: malformed payload in packet. Probable authentication failure (mismatch of preshared secrets?)

I figured I'd ask here before I open a case with support. Has anyone seen this behavior before? 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi  

Are these errors consistent every time?

Do you have different PSKs for your different IPSec tunnels at Headquarters? If so, please enable the option Enable probing of preshared keys in Site-to-site VPN > IPsec > Advanced | Preshared Key Settings. 

Also carefully check the Policies on both sides.

Regards

Jaydeep

• Hi  

Are these errors consistent every time?

Do you have different PSKs for your different IPSec tunnels at Headquarters? If so, please enable the option Enable probing of preshared keys in Site-to-site VPN > IPsec > Advanced | Preshared Key Settings. 

Also carefully check the Policies on both sides.

Regards

Jaydeep

Children
No Data