This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Try to understand our "any" Firewall rules

Hello,

I try to understand the firewall rules made on our Sophos UTM.

There are especially some "any" rules I don't get.

A)

Ruleset 1: Network1 (Network) > UDP 1434, 3478 > Server1

Ruleset 2: Network1( Network) > Any > Server1

Did I miss something or does Ruleset 2 make Ruleset 1 unnecessary?

B)

Ruleset 1: Network1( Network) > Any > Server1

Ruleset 2: Network1( Network) > Any > Network2( Network)

Server1 is in Network2. So does Ruleset 2 make Ruleset 1 unnecessary?

I hope you understand what I mean. My firewall skills are just medium. But this is not logical for me. But maybe I don't understand how Sophos Firewall is working.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Yes all correct BUT try to avoid "ANY" this makes your firewall useless because if you use "any" there will be no filtering!

Try to be as granular as possible and configure rules for (each) service and so on... And don't forget to switch the logging on for the rules!

If you're not sure what you really need or which traffic is needed between networks: Use an any rule for monitoring traffic for a short term and find out what you really need of this traffic. If  you find out traffic that is needed -> build an extra rule for that -> at the end erase the "any" rule.

You can also search log files and let you show the traffic of a single FW-Rule for a period of time: -> Logging&Reporting->Search log file->Firewall

Search for fwrule="Number of Rule" e.g. fwrule="2" if you like to see everything for Rule Nr. 2 (number of the rule is shown in Network Protection  -> Firewall)

regards

• Thank you,

that confirms my assessment.

Maybe the "any" rule was implemented for exact these reason an was never be disabled.

I was not aware of fwrule="Number of Rule" switch. That will be useful. Thanks a lot.

Reply Children
No Data