This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upgrade to UTM 9.601-5 firmware doesn't start FW NAT rules on boot

Hi,

I got information from my UTM that a new firmware 9.601-5 was available. I installed it and after reboot I discover that all my NAT rules where not activated ! I had to go on each one and disable/enable them to get back the working setup :(

I did it with some of them and then reboot the UTM: again rules where not applied. Disable/enable them and evrything is OK.

For some rules I didn't apply the "automatic firewall rules" in GUI but had create myself the FW rules: those NAT rules where activated. But for NAT rules with forwarding ports to other physical hosts but *not the host himself and the VMs running on it where the UTM lies* doesn't matter which setup (manual or automatically), I have to activate "automatic FW rules" and disable/enable the rules to get them working.

No need to say that prior firmware versions didn't had this problem.

Does anyone face the same problem and confirm?

Daniel

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • HI Everyone

So glad to see this issue confirmed here - I am NOT going mad after all.  We've had some really big problems with this ; causing us embarrasment and our client's outages

I can confirm the same activity on a few dozen of my UTMS - I am not sure what UTM firmware version this started with but I've seen it for a month or two at least. After a UTM reboot I need to DISable / ENable the NAT rules to get inbound NAT traffic started again. Not always ALL NAT rules it seems, can be just one rule out of dozens - I am now so scared to update firmware or reboot it's silly,  as I need to try every NAT rule after a reboot and I have so many UTMs to do this on. 

Last post on this thread was Jun 7th - any updates from anyone yet?

Thanks

Grant AU

• Hi Grant - welcome to the UTM Community!

You might want to use the trick I outlined in April when this phenomenon first appeared.  If the issue only occurs at reboot, use "@reboot" instead of "0 4 * * *" in the cron jobs.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hoi M1tch and welcome to the UTM Community!

Have you tried the trick I suggested earlier in this thread to add a cron job @reboot that disables/enables a DNAT rule?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I have now, it does seem to work!

This bug might confuse a lot of people, and actually break things meanwhile. It seems silly something like this can drag on for a couple of updates...

• Checking in to confirm that the problem still exists for me as well in 9.605-1

• : if guess that the cron job is just is a workaround for now? I mean this is not an official solution? I would like to avoid to do such things on my appliance.

: did you apply BAlfson solution before updating last firmware? Or was the problem solved by just updating the firmware?

I will try the new firmware in 10 days and will give you my feedback once it's done.

• DeltaSM said:

: did you apply BAlfson solution before updating last firmware? Or was the problem solved by just updating the firmware?

I didn't apply BAlfson solution, just upgraded and it gone. I will upgrade another UTM this week-end and see if problem disappear too.

Daniel

• I don't know if this is in any Sophos KB article or post by a Sophos employee.  I came up with this workaround on my own.

I note that this issue isn't listed under Bugfixes in the information about 9.605.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Daniel Huhardeaux said:

I didn't apply BAlfson solution, just upgraded and it gone. I will upgrade another UTM this week-end and see if problem disappear too. 

On another system problem is still existing.

• Daniel Huhardeaux said:

just installed 9.605-1 and problems disappears.

I restarted the UTM to check if effectively problem is gone: is not :( I had again to deactive/active each rule ...

• Same here, issue still persists after latest update. Does sophos even care abount fixing this crap issue?

• Hi all,

this morning I got answer from Sophos France support: working on our logs they found the problem which should be resolved with version 9.7 expected current october. (!)

Daniel

Reply Children