This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cell Phone Application Notifications over WiFi

Hello everyone,

I set up UTM 9 a few weeks ago. Lately I've noticed something while using the cell on the wireless network. notifications for all sorts of apps, and of different kinds, aren't having notifications sent to them while on the wifi network. when I disconnect from wifi, they all come through.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi John,

for Apple see Apple KBA HT203609

Check required ports

If you use Wi-Fi behind a firewall, or private Access Point Name for cellular data, connect to specific ports. You need a direct, unproxied connection to the APNs servers on these ports:

• TCP port 5223 to communicate with APNs.
    • TCP port 443 or 2197 to send notifications to APNs.*
    • TCP port 443 is required during device activation, and afterwards for fallback (on Wi-Fi only) if devices can't reach APNs on port 5223.

The APNs servers use load balancing, so your devices don't always connect to the same public IP address for notifications. It's best to let your device access these ports on the entire 17.0.0.0/8 address block, which is assigned to Apple.

for Android there is unfortunately no direkt quoteable KBA, but a foot notice in this one: cloud-messaging/http

Implementing an HTTP Connection Server (notice)

If your organization has a firewall that restricts the traffic to or from the Internet, you need to configure it to allow connectivity with GCM in order for your GCM client apps to receive messages. The ports to open are: 5228, 5229, and 5230. GCM typically only uses 5228, but it sometimes uses 5229 and 5230. GCM doesn't provide specific IPs, so you should allow your firewall to accept outgoing connections to all IP addresses contained in the IP blocks listed in Google's ASN of 15169.

Yours Lukas

lna@cema

SCA (utm+xg), SCSE, SCT

Sophos Platinum Partner

• So this is just set up at my house, and I"m using and android phone. But I'm guessing that might not matter all that much. 

Are there certain areas in the portal I can look in, and things to look for, that would cause this kind of issue?

Thanks.