This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

two LANs and Gateway on one of LANs

Hello, I've being trying to do a fairly simple task, I tried every possible route and gateway but I couldn't succeed.

My setup is, Sophos UTM with 2 LANs:

VoIP LAN: 192.168.2.130/24
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.250 (The internet router is on this LAN)

LAN2: 10.10.12.2/29

I have already internet connection on VoIP LAN interface and all of the devices connected to it, but i couldn't succeed to get on internet on LAN2 giving that my main problem is that the router is on VoIP LAN, what might be the required routes to make LAN2 reach the internet which is on 192.168.2.250?

When i do a traceroute from VoIP LAN, I get the route throught the router to outside, but i when i traceroute from interface LAN2 I get straightly no route (astericks).

Any Help is highly appreciated, thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • There are three ways that you might configure two subnets:

1. Two subnets on a single LAN, using a single interface (no VLANS2)
    2. One subnet on each of two VLANs, using one  interface
    3. Each subnet on a separate interface

Albert's reply is correct for option 1, but I understand you to say that you are using option 3.

For option 3, I think you need a static route from the LAN2 subnet to the LAN1 interface address 192.168.2.130.   With this in place, LAN1 can forward the traffic to itself or to the Internet, as appropriate.   Without the static route, I think LAN2 will find LAN1 devices, but will not be able to find the Internet.

In UTM, option 2 is a variant of option 3, because the hardware-level VLAN is mapped as a logical interface within UTM. 

• Hi Douglas,

Thanks for your reponse, I think I have option 3, and here is a picture of my interfaces:

Internal and WAN aren't used.

What i test to see the connectivity is pinging from eth4 (LAN2) to internet:

I tried to add the following route to test only 8.8.8.8:

Where i explicitly said that ping to 8.8.8.8 on interface LAN2 should be routed to 192.168.2.250 on Interface VoIP LAN.

but weirdly didn't work, what do you suggest further?

And thanks a lot for your time

• Start by disabling WAN on Eth0 by clicking the button next to its name, so that it goes white.   It may be creating a routing problem.

• Remove the interface lock from all network objects.   Applying a value overrides routing, and says that 8.8.8.8 is routed to lan2, breaking it for everybody.

then test with nslookup or dig.   ICMP has separate configuration consuderstions (on the ICMP tab.

• I disabled WAN, I just set 8.8.8.8 for test, but am I saying in the picture that 8.8.8.8 is routed to lan2 or I'm saying route 8.8.8.8 on interface lan2 to 192.168.2.250 on interface VoIP LAN?

The thing is I can't set route 0.0.0.0/0 in static routing it will pop up an error that default gateway should only be setup in interface and interfaces doesn't allow me to setup second gateway for LAN2.

So I still weirdly can't just setup something like: route 0.0.0.0 on lan2 to the gateway 192.168.2.250 on VoIP LAN.

The problem with dig and nslookup that they can't be invoked from a specific interface, and ICMP is ticked everywhere under ICMP tab, also tried with telnet.

And firewall rules i have any to any.

What's only left in my mind that the router 192.168.2.250 is not masquerading or blocking the traffic coming from my 10.10.12.0 network, I will try to get access there and check.

Thanks much again for your time.

• Right.  So you probably do not need any static route  - my mistake.

But I am sure that you want all network objects linked to interface <<any>>

Reply Children
No Data