This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNAT works for port 8080, does not work for port 80 (cloned rule)

Hi,

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a DNAT rule forwarding port 80 to our webserver, which does not work. When I clone the rule and swap port 80 with port 8080 it suddenly works.

I ticked Automatic firewall rule and Log initial packets and also enabled Log traffic in the auto-created firewall rule.

I tried to query the web server over port 80 and 8080.

The ONLY THING I see in the Firewall Live Log is the successful attempt to access port 8080. All access to port 80, which doesn't work, isn't even logged!

Edit: I moved rule #3 to position #1 but it didn't change anything. Web Protection > Web Filtering is OFF.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

that seems like a bug.. I never experienced behaviour like this.

Did you try deleting the NAT-Rule and creating a new one?

If so i suggest contacting Sophos Support Staff.

Regards,

Ole

• On the destination translation, shot in the dark.... my icon looks different. My destination translation is to a host ip4/ipv6.

So I have:

For traffic from: Any
    Using service: https
    Going to: Interface (one of the usable additional interface addresses bound to the WAN address)

Change the destination to: Host (ip4/ipv6) internal address of host
    And the service to: leave blank

Automatic firewall rule: Yes

• @Ole, I suspect the same. We don't have Sophos Support and the technicians at my Vendor are all busy. So in the meantime I try to find an answer here.

Louis,

the icon is different, because I used a DNS host. The host is working, as shown in the port 8080 rule. This works by design. However, I created a ip-host just to be sure. Same issue, no change.

• Quick update. I ran tcpdump on the sophos shell on all interfaces, listening on any communication from one of my internet servers. From that server i ran nmap only to figure out, that -- dropped or not -- any packet shows up EXCEPT packets to port 80 and 443. I think my ISP is messing with me.

• TCPDump is great for this. Helped me out many a time as well as a good syslogger. Do you have any application control running?

I had a right old polava due to having a http restriction sitting in there that was added from the interfaces on the main dashboard. Didn't show up in the fw gui logs

Took me ages to discover it and thought I was going mad. There's a good thread on here called RULZ that details the order of thing being intercepted eg proxies before dnat's etc

As you've eluded, certain ISP's can use a a firewall to block servers eg plusnet etc so it might be worth checking.

• I confirmed it's not a Sophos problem, but the ISPs fault.

• Glad you got it sorted. Out of interest, which ISP is it? Do they offer a control panel with a FW feature within it etc?

• It's not sorted, unfortunately. It's Unitymedia in BW/Germany. They do not offer a control panel. They are also shifting the blame onto us (the customer), but I am very certain that the issue is not with us. They are telling us, we have a problem with our firewall, although not even a directly connected webserver with no firewall-software installed is not reachable via port 80. Very tedious discussion.