This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hot-Standby Update with RAM upgrade

Hi,

we're planning to upgrade our Software-Appliance Hot-Standby-Cluster this Friday evening (2x Dell PowerEdge R310 with 1x Xeon 4C/8T, 8GB RAM) from 9.409 to 9.508 (so yea, we' missed to update more often).

Our plan is also to upgrade the RAM to 32GB. Our plan is:

1. Shutdown Slave (Management -> High-Avail. -> Status -> Shutdown)
  2. Upgrade RAM to 32GB and reboot
  3. It should resync, so the cluster is back again (-> is it ok to have a hot-standby cluster with different amounts of ram?)
  4. Do the UTM Upgrade, so that the Slave is being updated and reboots and get's the master (One switchover)
  5. After the sync, the slave (old-master) get's updated and after it's reboot and resync
  6. Shutdown the new slave and exchange ram, reboot and resync

Is this a viable path to go? Do i have to expect any issues while for a short time having nodes with diff. amounts of ram? (Currently the UTM only uses 75% while half of that is only caches)

Thanks for any hints!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Perfect, Martin!  I can see no problem with your plan.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi,

just wanted to give a small update on that. We did the upgrade (version and ram) on friday night and it went great. No issues. We deleted all up2date packages and downloaded them to the cluster again with "audld.plx".

The only difference was, that we had to upgrade the old-master/new-slave first (2nd node) because we only had the "Upgrade Node" button but no shutdown button. But that is a no-brainer since it's the new slave anyway. So in the End, we upgraded the old slave with new RAM first, then did the UTM Update on the slave and then the old master and then upgraded the ram on the second node. We had no issues, neither with the RAM upgrades nor the the UTM updates (even though we updated 9 up2date packages at the same time).

Feels like the up2date packages are now a bit more stable than 2-3 years ago. I've updated this post, just in case anyone else needs that information.