This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

QoS|Bandwidth Pools|Throttling Assistance

Hello everyone!

I seem to be running into some issues regarding QoS and more specifically throttling. 

Our Setup:

CGA4131-Technicolor CBR(Comcast Business Router) Approximately 930mbps down / 40mbps Up but during peak hours is closer to 800mbps/30mbps.
SG-125 - Patched, running UTM9.
CGA4131 ->SG-125 is the WAN
We have two subnets, eth0 (internal), eth4 (VLAN 100) 

I have the desire to Throttle/Limit speeds for things like youtube, pandora, facetime, facebook video etc. However, I have yet to be successful in my endeavors. 

Here's what I've tried:

Enabled QoS on External(WAN), Establish Bandwidth pools for services, set throttles for specific applications/website : No Effect
Enabled QoS on All ports, Repeated the above steps : No Effect
Enabled QoS on External, Changed Up/Down links : Limits entire environment to the values of whatever was set.  
Enabled QoS on External, Toggled/Untoggled the limiters/optimizers: No real effect.

I've been scouring these forums as well as others, but this seems to be a issue that a lot of people come across. Forgive my ignorance as I am relatively new to the Sophos world in general.

Currently I deleted all bandwidth pools and download throttles just to take a fresh whack at this. 

*EDIT Corrected Downlink/Uplink Values

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Nicholas and welcome to the UTM Community!

To start, activate only the External interface for QoS and select 'Upload Optimizer'.  Uncheck 'Upload Optimizer' if you create any Bandwidth Pools.  Disable QoS on the other Interfaces.

Use a Download Throttling rule to, for example, limit YouTube.  If you test that and it works, you have a model for the other traffic.  If it doesn't work, show us pictures the Edits of your configuration.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • External

Internal Connections

Traffic Selector

Throttle:

Youtube stats

Doesn't Seem to want to take

• If you make an Applications Control rule that Allows and Logs those two applications, do you see anything in the AppCtrl  Live Log when you do the same test?

Sometimes, it's easier to click on the box for External under 'In' on the Dashboard and then click on [Throttle] off to the right of the traffic you want to create a rule for.

Any luck?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The Application control rule + going through the dash seemed to do the trick.

Thank you!