This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows 10 Xbox Play Anywhere not working. Server connectivity: Blocked!

Anyone know if it's possible to play a Play Anywhere game behind a Sophos UTM?  I'm getting server connectivity blocked.  I've gone through the teredo troubleshooting/uninstalling steps and have created a NAT rule as well as IPS exception and Web filtering changes.   Here are the screenshots of what I'm seeing and have in the UTM.   Let me know if anyone has steps to get this working as it's extremely frustrating.  I don't have     any issues playing online from the Xbox itself. 

Thanks,

Gary

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hey Gary,

please check the corresponding logs (firewall, webfilter, ips) for any block entries regarding xbox play anywhere. This way you can pinpoint which module is actually blocking the connection and check the specific configuration. Feel free to post the entries if you need more help regarding the issue.

Regards

• I'm attaching all 3 logs.  The ips log has nothing really in it and the other two have no traces of the IP of my machine (192.168.0.46).   I guess it begs the question is the system logging what it's supposed to?   Let me know what you see though or any changes I may need to make.  

Gary

• Gary, you didn't attach the logs, but no one will dig through them for you.  A line or two related to the problem would let us help though.  Check out #1 in Rulz.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Did you actually read my post?

I stated that I wasn't able to even find the IP of the system having issues in the logs so suspecting something is wrong.  Therefore, I can't give 1 or 2 lines from the logs related to the problem.  Also, I did upload them but guess they were stripped upon saving.  I'll try again.  I've already spent hours on this on my own and combing through many google/youtube/sophos forum posts so pretty frustrated.  Troubleshooting connection issues with the UTM box is never intuitive as it should be.   My next step is just to go wireshark since that actually gives me useful data. 

Gary

• Hey Gary,

in my experience the system always logs what it is supposed to and configuration issues are the reason for an unexpected result. Looking through the logs the only noticeable thing is, that none of your configured firewall rules showing up despite having logging activated. Only default drops and one NAT Rule is showing up which leads to the assumption that your fw rule isn't working or a different rule without logging is used (also check automatic rules). Is it working with an Any - Any - Any rule on top?

In a short search I couldn't find anything regarding xbox play anywhere and the specifics of it's communication but first I would search that and then start the configuration.

Regards

• Gary, I had read your post - did you thoroughly read #1 in Rulz?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks naiP.  This was very helpful.   I did have a desktop pc -- any -- any rule set up on top to troubleshoot and it was there before I gathered the log.   I removed it and then watched the firewall log and I can see the connections from x.46 going green so there are connections being made.  The Xbox app for Win 10 when it checks is showing NAT Open and I'm not getting a teredo error.   However, it still says blocked for server connectivity and there weren't any red drop lines for x.46 in the firewall log.  I'll check it tonight.   Is it safe to say since the Any Any rule didn't do the trick that the issue more than likely lies outside of that section?

Gary

• yes but wasn't seeing anything in the logs.  I'm seeing green lines now from x.46 after removing the desktop pc - any - any rule at position 1 but still seeing blocked.  I don't see any x.46 lines in IPS, application control, web filter logs. 

Gary

• So we're down to a routing issue, as #1 says - check the other Rulz suggestions it makes.  If you get no joy with any of those, I think you're stuck doing packet captures.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA