This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM Home Ed. - What the first licence to pay to have more than 50IP ? What is the licence max duration ?

Hi to all,

I would like to know what is the first licence name to subscribe to avoid the 50 IP limit with Sophos UTM Home Ed. (on DIY hardware) ?

What is the licence cost/price associated ? What is the max duration of the licence ? because it's seems that all licence are "time bombed" ?

Many thanks for all.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hey Dark.

It depends on which feature you would like to enable. Home Edition has all features enabled, which are: Network Protection, Web Protection, Wireless Protection , Web Application Firewall (WAF) and Email Protection. More information about what features can be licensed here.

I highly doubt you would need WAF, Email and Wireless Protection on a home network, so a Network Protection for Firewall, IPS, Failover, Remote Access and VPN and Web Protection for Web and Application control should suffice.

Since you are using your own hardware, you would need licenses for the Software version of UTM for the modules you wish to enable. Those licenses are sold per number of IPs, from 10 to unlimited. 

As per duration, licenses are sold in 1, 2 and 3 years terms. 

Now, software version licenses are expensive. You might be better off buying an UTM appliance, like SG125 or SG135, depending on the number of devices you wish to protect. Talk to a local Sophos partner, they should be able to help you.

Regards,

Giovani

• Hi,

If i follow the feature table, Essential licence is enough for me.

I have the opportunity to buy second hand Sophos device, does it have any advantage to purchase dedicated Sophos Device about licence price ?

My understanding is that a Sophos hardware without licence is like Sophos UTM Home Ed. with homemade hardware, still have fucking 50ip limitation... 

What is the difference/advantage of DIY hardware versus Sophos dedicated hardware ?

Best Regards.

• No, an essentials does not give any functions other than firewall and anti-x updates. You must have a big network at home if you have more then 50 IP addresses?

If you want to go above 50 IPs for home use then you probably should look at the XG it is limited to 6gb ram and 4cpus. Licence does not expire.

Do it yourself hardware allows you to build the equivalent of a SG450 or SG750 but limited to 50 IP addresses. You rely on forum members for support.

Using an SG with a business licence gives you basically unlimited IP addresses until you run out of resources. Also gets you Sophos support if you buy it as part of your licence.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hi,

What is the price for a business licence If i purchase a SG ? does the business licence is time limited (max duration?) ?

Best Regards.

• Hi,

I cannot provide any pricing information on business licences in the forums, you need to contact a reseller.

A business licence has a duration of 1, 2 or 3 years depending on what you pay for?

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• With a DIY device or SG, you still need to pay a licence to avoid 50IP limitation ?

In both case, you have licence duration limit too ?

So what is the advantage to have SG device ?

What is the retail price for both case ?

I don't understand the interest to buy SG vs homemade hardware.

XG seems not really mature, does it have the same function than SG ?

• Hi,

as I advised earlier you will not get pricing information in these forums, you need to talk to a reseller.

Buying So

If you buy Sophos hardware will get you Sophos support where as building your own you rely on these forums for assistance as you are now.

The XG will more than likely do what you want for home use, web proxy, mail scanning (imaps and pops which the UTM does not)., plus more features. Having traffic go out different links without using load balancing.

Both XG and SG or home built purchased licences are for a fixed duration 1, 2 or 3 years. Home licence for UTM is for 3 years, home licence for XG is longer than you will live.

ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Hi,

as I advised earlier you will not get pricing information in these forums, you need to talk to a reseller.

Buying So

If you buy Sophos hardware will get you Sophos support where as building your own you rely on these forums for assistance as you are now.

The XG will more than likely do what you want for home use, web proxy, mail scanning (imaps and pops which the UTM does not)., plus more features. Having traffic go out different links without using load balancing.

Both XG and SG or home built purchased licences are for a fixed duration 1, 2 or 3 years. Home licence for UTM is for 3 years, home licence for XG is longer than you will live.

ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

Children
No Data