This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Seeing only IPs in Reporting

Bob,

I had a great success yesterday putting my wireless router into AP mode and enable DHCP on UTM. I can now see that IP addresses are being assigned from pol of IPs configured on my UTM. I also was following "Sophos DNS best practices" yesterday from the url: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/120283 and I couldn't understand last two points and that seems to be the reason why I see IPs instead of host name in my reporting area.

Request routing

1. Browse to: Network Services | DNS | Request Routing
  2. Select: New DNS request route'
  3. Configure rule as follows
    • Domain: [Your domain]
    • Target Servers: [Your internal DNS server]

Note:If this is a multi-domain environment you may need to configure multiple request routes

Reverse DNS

With this PTR request route the UTM can list machine names instead of internal IP addresses in the reports.

1. Browse to: Network Services | DNS | Request Routing
  2. Select 'New DNS request route'
  3. Configure the rule as follows:
    • Domain: [PTR record for your network]
    • Target Servers: [Your internal DNS server]

I don't understand what would be the my domain name, my internal DNS server (I use google dns service as mentioned in DNS best practice steps earlier), PTR record

Do you want me to create a new thread for this issue?

Thanks

Andy

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I split your post off into new thread, Andy.  You might want to edit the title I changed it to for this new question.

Since you don't have an internal DNS server, you will need to use a Host definition for each device containing its MAC address and an IP to assign to it.  Then, you UTM's DHCP server will assign that fixed IP.  Make sure that the fixed IPs are not in the dynamic range of the DHCP server.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob,

Thanks for spiting thread into two. I truly appreciate it. Here are my followup questions:

1. How can I assign static IP to each device? 
    2. How can I find mac address of currently connected devices? Some of the devices will be difficult to find their mac address. For e.g. Google home connected to my home network or smart tv. Is there any way, I can find out from UTM or by some other means? Even I don't know how to find IP address of my Google Home, Smart TV, Smart DVD player, Google Chrome, etc connected to my home network
    3. If I assign static IP to my home devices based on their mac address, how can I release their DHCP lease from the UTM so that next time when devices try to connect, it gets statically assigned new IP?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Andy

• Hi,

in the DHCP server list of assigned addresses there is a function to make the address static. You make as Bob advised to use an address outside of your DHCP range.

Disconnect the device from the network or restart it and it should pickup the new address.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• rfcat_vk said:

Hi,

in the DHCP server list of assigned addresses there is a function to make the address static. You make as Bob advised to use an address outside of your DHCP range.

Disconnect the device from the network or restart it and it should pickup the new address.

Ian

Ian,

That did the trick. Thanks you and Bob both to help me figure this issue. I have assigned static IPs to all my devices in home outside of DHCP lease range and now in logging and reporting, it shows the host names I have given.

Thanks again.

Andy