This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IPv6 broken

I run a UTM and have had stable, native ipv6 across 3 internal vlans for quite some time. However, after some of the recent firmware updates, the UTM now refuses to connect the wan interface via ipv6. Nothing else has changed, my utm config has been stable for some time, but after any reconnection of the wan interface for any reason (manual reconnect, reboot, reboot after firmware update, ISP blip, etc) I lose all internet connectivity.

Looking at my interfaces, all Lan interfaces show ipv6 addresses correctly but the wan interface simply won't pick up its address....to the point where the interface is shown as DOWN and there is no connectivity whatsoever across ipv6 or ipv4.

A combination of black magic, wearing yellow underpants and chanting seems to bring it back....seriously it's some unknown combination of forcing the connection to reset, rebooting the UTM and disabling/enabling ipv6 will bring it back. But only until the connection resets and then boom, no internet again.

I've been forced to disable ipv6 permanently on my network because this is a massive issue. Other similar sounding posts talk about having to rebuild the wan interface but that's a massive job, isn't it?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I start from scratch, clean install UTM and then reload my current config or will that not help? Any help would be appreciated as it's a real pain as it currently stands.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

none of what you suggest will help from my experience today.

I recently rebuilt a UTM 9.503 and restored a previous config. Connected to the ISP using PPPoE and received all the correct IPv6 addressing details including a /56. The ISP gateway has an fe80 address, strange in my opinion. Made a number changes after running whatismyipv6 tests and failing each time.

Eventually I took the ISP provided modem/router out of bridge mode into standard. Connected the mac to the modem and ran the tests passed with flying colours, so connected the UTM in DHCP mode with IPv6 enabled. Ran the IPv6 tests again and passed with flying colours, this is extremely perplexing. I have run previous versions of UTM with a different ISP that also provides native IPv6 and did not have any issues. The modem picks up all the same IPv6 addresses, so I agree with you that something in the IPv6 configuration in the UTM has changed.

I cannot see anything different in the configuration except now using DHCP in lieu of PPPoE interface.

Being a home user I cannot log a fault, just post details on these forums, you can log a fault.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Has support acknowledged this as a problem, or are you both home users?

• Yeah home user too unfortunately so no hope with support. Sounds similar to posts like this though....

• IPv6 via PPPoE didnt work for a long time until sophos made a patch earlier this year and put it in their (august?) release update. I have been running it for month now. That beeing said, IPv6 is still very buggy from time to time, DHCPv6 stopped working again after using it for a while, now using SLAAC again.

As long as sophos focus on XG i highly doubt we will see any more improvements on the UTM aside from criticial security updates (just my 2 cent) 

---

Sophos UTM 9.3 Certified Engineer

• Hi Ben,

I have seen all your posts on the subject and at that time I was using internode as the ISP and did not have any issues with their IPv6 implementation over PPPoE. Since then I have tried to reduce my expenses having retired again. Telstra made me an offer I could not refuse to help reduce my communication expenses which included a new ADSL 2+ service with IPv6 that does not work with the UTM or XG in PPPoE mode, but does work with the the UTM in DHCP mode.

My original UTM was running an older version with up2date packages, my current one is a build using 9.503 and that could be the issue. I suppose if feeling brave I could dig out an older install disk and put the UTM through its paces. Not sure if it is worth it though.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• i have a "restore packadge" to go to pre-patch ipv6 over pppoe fixes if that would help you?

---

• Hi Ben,

I will try the package and report the results. How big is it?

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• send you an email with link, its tiny

be carefull with that, i have no idea if it will do what you want or work at all with the current version!

---

• Thank you. The response is from an email address that the XG thinks is okay.

XG mail is a pain for inconsistency.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Just add me to the list of IPv6 issues - what I've noticed is that after a reboot, IPv6 isn't working - but if I toggle IPv6 off and on within the "Interfaces & Routing > IPv6" section, IPv6 functionality returns.

Tim Grantham

Enterprise Architect & Business owner