This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Web protection, profiles & policies

Hi All

I've recently installed the Sophos UTM product in a home environment and I gotta say I'm mighty impressed with what i've seen so far. However one thing I was looking to implement is two web filter profiles one for the kids and one for adults. I have found a number of videos online which do cover this topic but it all appears to be based on user accounts. this can be seen in the video link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v4_3bph6GA&index=6&list=PLnBVl9br8TxnnSO5uFnLWGRVGD4O_6ASr

What I want to know is it possible to create a device Group and place devices such as laptops and or smart phones into this group and apply a web profile policy to it?

I look forward to your responses.

Regards

Malcolm

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Filter Profiles are based on IP and optionally device type.   So one option is to use a static ip range for adults and a dhcp range for everyobe else.

You might want three Filter Profiles - one for devices like Alexa or the washing machine, one for adults and one for kids.

The other option is to require logins for all users, and then set filter actions based on group membershp.

Devices with embedded web finctions, such as smartTVs, are difficult because UTM will not know if the request is for device overhead, child user, or adult user.

• Hi and thanks for you response, good shout three filter does sound like a good idea. I will into the static ip idea as I have already assigned static IP to most machines, I guess this will be the best option. I will let you know how I get on.