This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VPN Service with UTM recommendations?

With the recent House/Senate votes to allow ISPs to sell users web traffic, and the increased interest in VPN services, I'm wondering if anyone has already stood up a VPN router or is trying out the various services on their computers?

I have been using Tunnelbear on my phone sparingly at coffee shops, etc., but have always had trouble with it connecting when on my home wifi.  I never gave it much mind before, but am curious if something in the UTM is blocking it...and if I would encounter the same thing with other VPN services.

Anyone tried NordVPN, ExpressVPN, IPVanish...etc.?

Thanks,

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • If you use Google, shop at Amazon or Walmart or do any of dozens of other things, your life already is an open book.  In any case, if you want to encrypt all of the traffic out of your UTM and hide your IP, you will need an additional device as the UTM doesn't have the possibility of being a VPN client itself.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob -

I understand the UTM cannot act as a client, that's not what I am trying to do.

I have a VPN service on my phone, Tunnelbear, and was trying it out on my desktop as well, but the UTM was blocking both from connecting to their servers.  Just curious if others have tried some of the other VPN services already (ie, NordVPN), settled on oneand if it required any configurations to make them work.

My corporate Cisco VPN works no problem through the UTM without any configuration required.  So I'm not sure why Tunnelbear would be blocked.

Thanks.

• Bob -

I understand the UTM cannot act as a client, that's not what I am trying to do.

I have a VPN service on my phone, Tunnelbear, and was trying it out on my desktop as well, but the UTM was blocking both from connecting to their servers.  Just curious if others have tried some of the other VPN services already (ie, NordVPN), settled on oneand if it required any configurations to make them work.

My corporate Cisco VPN works no problem through the UTM without any configuration required.  So I'm not sure why Tunnelbear would be blocked.

Thanks.

Children