This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Best Practice for defining AD Authentication Servers

I actually have two questions related to backend AD Authentication and web protection on a Sophos UTM 9 version 9.411-3

We recently had an issue with our Primary AD controller (DC1) which prevented users from authenticating and getting through the web protection. AD Authentication is required. Of course, we do have a secondary AD controller (DC2) but that was never defined in Authentication Services > Servers. I did go back into Authentication Services > Servers and I added DC2 but was not sure if that was the correct method to insure HA for backend authentication. DC1 was put back into service before I could determine if DC2 had taken over on the Sophos UTM 9. If I have two servers defined for the same domain will each be used for authentication should one fail? Is the order that they are listed important?

Second question is related to dynamic group membership (AD). I have two primary groups setup for web filtering back on the domain controllers - filtered_web_access and unlimited_web_access (for example - CN=filtered_web_access,CN=Users,DC=corp,DC=XXXXMYDOMAINXXXX,DC=com). I also have Enable AD group membership background sync checked. My question is - how do I see from the Sophos UTM point of view who is a member of those groups. I have been unable to find a GUI interface that displays that. Maybe a console command is available?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • answer1:

creating two authentication servers with 2 DC's is an option. But one authentication error counts 2 times within AD.

Currently i prefer a availability group containing boot DC's and LDAP port as test.

answer2:

first ... check best practice (and rulz) from bob.

testing the group membership is possible within authentication-server definition.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• dirkkotte said:
    Currently i prefer a availability group containing boot DC's and LDAP port as test

Ah - yes. I was thinking about using an availability group since it's pretty much the same as DNS best practice. I will need to look deeper into testing the group membership.

• dirkkotte said:
    Currently i prefer a availability group containing boot DC's and LDAP port as test

Ah - yes. I was thinking about using an availability group since it's pretty much the same as DNS best practice. I will need to look deeper into testing the group membership.

Children
No Data