This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hotspot setup

I'm running UTM 9.354 for home use with 3 LAN interfaces, 2 VLAN interfaces and 1 WAN.

Sophos UTM is fantastic - it still takes my breath away...

The usual DHCP, DNS, firewall, NAT and NTP entries are active and the UTM is working fine ...

I want one wired and one VLAN interface to run hotspots, but adding a hotspot to either a wired or VLAN interface results in no portal being displayed, loss of ping to 8.8.8.8 and loss of internet access from the browser.

Can I actually add a hotspot to a wired interface? It's confusing that hotspots are found under wireless protection!

My AP is an Edimax BR-6208AC giving up to 4 SSIDs per Wi-Fi band with VLANs. I have wireless devices connecting through the UTM fine but not with a portal!

Could someone please suggest what I'm missing?

Many thanks, Judy

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Judy, I would disable 'Wireless Protection >> Global Status' - I suspect that that is causing a conflict with the Hotspot settings. Beyond that, be aware that a Hotspot on an Interface applies to all clients connected to that Interface.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks Bob
    So with Wireless Protection/Global Settings/Wireless Protection Status = Off,
    if Hotspot Status = On and no Hotspot is defined, there is internet access
    if Hotspot Status = Off and a Hotspot is defined there is internet access.

but if HotSpot Status = On and a Hotspot is defined, then there is no internet and pings fail.

I can force internet access by setting 'Any IPV4' under Advanced/Allowed Hosts/Networks.
    But whenever I get to the internet, no Hotspot logon page appears

The Live Log displays
    2016:02:23-20:01:59 zzzzline hotspotd[4543]: hotspotd started
    and nothing else.
    I've restarted the UTM and still get no hotspot.

Someone out there must be running UTM hotspots to desktops in an internet cafe - I wonder how that's configured?

Judy
  • I've installed a second UTM with different hardware, NICs, IP addresses, home licence etc and get the same problem:
    Wireless Protection/Global Settings/Wireless Protection Status = Off,
    if Hotspot Status = On and no Hotspot is defined, there is internet access
    if Hotspot Status = Off and a Hotspot is defined there is internet access.

but if HotSpot Status = On and a Hotspot is defined, then there is no internet and pings fail.

I can force internet access by setting 'Any IPV4' under Advanced/Allowed Hosts/Networks.
    But whenever I get to the internet, no Hotspot logon page appears.

So I must be configuring Hotspots wrong ...

Is there anyone out there with a hotspot on a wired interface or non-Sophos AP please?

Thanks, Judy
  • I was thinking "this just doesn't make sense - what did I miss?" The first thing I saw was that VLAN 1 is reserved in the UTM. Change that to VLAN 11 and let us know if that fixed the problem.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA