This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Stop UTM From Contacting Root DNS servers

I want to configure my UTM so the DNS root servers are not contacted, I have UTM 9.353-4 . Using:

joe /var/chroot-bind/etc/named.conf

Then editing forward first;

To forward only;

and saving using Ctrl KX,

On restart of the UTM the previous configuration is there showing forward first;.
How can the configuration be saved so it will survive a restart/shutdown?

Thanks,
Jim

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Jim, make the change in /var/chroot-bind/etc/named.conf-default instead and then force a restart of bind with

/var/mdw/scripts/named restart

If that doesn't change named.conf, then I guess you'll need to do a reboot. Please report on your experience.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

I tried to edit named.conf-default but have not had the desired results. In named.conf-default there is only an entry for the forwarders.

[<FORWARDERS>]

So the question now becomes syntax, and physical location. After a number of restarts the forward only entry did not appear in named.conf.

Thanks,
    Jim
  • Jim, I see now what you mean, and I'm not knowledgeable enough about what goes on under the covers to know if it would be OK to just delete the root.hint block.

So, what problem are you seeing that has you trying this solution?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob, It is not a problem, more so unneeded functionality.

Thanks,
    Jim
  • All-

Over the weekend I was looking at using forward only in named.conf. The advantages of using forward only are the root servers are not contacted, and no resolver priming messages in the DNS log. Named.conf is a automatically generated making editing usless. While the changes remain static until the UTM is restarted or the UTM does nightly house keeping. How can I make the forward only entry remain permanite?

Thanks,

Jim

• All-

Over the weekend I was looking at using forward only in named.conf. The advantages of using forward only are the root servers are not contacted, and no resolver priming messages in the DNS log. Named.conf is a automatically generated making editing usless. While the changes remain static until the UTM is restarted or the UTM does nightly house keeping. How can I make the forward only entry remain permanite?

Thanks,

Jim

Children
No Data