This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VLAN problem on virtual UTM setup on ESXi 6

Getting VLANs to work on a virtual install of Sophos UTM 9 turns out to be a bit of a struggle. My setup is as follows:

ESXi 6 with a NIC configured with 4 port groups that all have a VLAN ID (1620, 1621, 1622, 1623). The Sophos install is virtual and has all of the port groups defined as its interfaces. Switch in use is a cisco SG200-26 with the ports configured as trunk with the respected tagged VLANs (multiple ESXi hosts).

Now configuring the interfaces on Sophos UTM to Ethernet VLAN with the VLAN ID seems logical but doesn't seem to work. Hosts connected to the portgroup can't even ping the Sophos gateway of the interface. Configuring the Sophos interface as just Ethernet does make it work but it seems that VLAN tags are dropped since all host on different VLANs can ping eachother. Which undermines the whole VLAN idea.....

I had a go with pfSense which does seem to support this setup but I would prefer to make this work on Sophos. Am I missing a critical part of setup here or is this just not supported?

I do want to route between some VLANs in the end. So goal is to get a 'router on a stick' setup for Sophos. Any ideas on what might fix this?

Regards

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • You need to define the VLAN's on the interfaces of the hypervisor.
    In the UTM you need to create "regular" interfaces.
    When I defined the VLAN's on the UTM, I had some issues with the hypervisor stripping the VLAN-tag.

I use Hyper-V myself, added a switch bridging on the internal interface.
    Then I added network adapters for every VLAN to the VM.
    On the VM/UTM itself, I added the "ethernet"-type adapters.

I attached a few screenshots, I hope it helps.
  • Thanks for replying. The setup seems quite similar to mine. But when deploying like this I think the VLAN IDs are strangely stripped by Sophos UTM.
    Without setting up routing I can ping and connect from hosts in VLAN 1620 to hosts in VLAN 1623 which shouldn't be visible to each other. 

VMs are using VMXNET 3 nics. 

I included some screens from the config.
  • Routing doesn't need to be setup as far as I know,
    the UTM can find all connected networks as soon as they are connected and the interfaces configured.

I am not that known with VMware products yet, I haven't seen the combination of Vmware and Sophos UTM yet myself.
    Maybe someone else should take a look at it
  • Hi folks,
    I have a UTM and SUM running on ab esxi5.5 vm using vlans.

1/. you will need a second port that is not on a vlan
    2/. utm needs to have vlan set on the interface
    3/. the VM NIC needs to be set for either all vlans or your specific vlan id
    4/. your switch connected to the internal utm nic needs to be tagged with the vlan id and all the other ports in the vlan id group untagged.

The straight interface is so yuo can configure this unless you have remote access setup. But, I would suggest you need a second internal interface non vlan because if something goes wrong with your switch you can't get into the UTM to configure it. This is from experience.

Ian M

I am upgrading my system to esxi6.x tomorrow.