This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No IPv6 default gateway using Tunnel Broker

Anyone else run into this?  I have a tunnel broker configured on my Sophos UTM and when I set a static address/gateway on my client machines routing to the IPv6 internet seems to work great.  When I use stateless automatic advertisement, the clients get a valid IPv6 ip address, but they don't get a valid gateway.  I am new to IPv6, but can't seem to see anywhere in the config where you set the default IPv6 gateway in a tunnel broker config?  I assume if my ISP offered IPv6 natively I could simply check the box on the WAN interface..........  That won't help me here though..  Ideas anyone?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • So I have been working on this more and more trying to make sense of how exactly Stateless IPv6 addressing is supposed to work.  Turns out that the router advertisement I guess is SUPPOSED to give your clients a "non-routable" link local IP address for the gateway automatically.  Brain twisting for those of us so used to IPv4.  So it isn't doing NAT, what the hell is it doing?  The PC with the routable address is accessible if the ports are open on the firewall page..  Weird.   I guess a non SLAAC config isn't available when using the tunnel broker?
  • Hi,
    who is your tunnel with?
    I currently have a tunnel with sixxs and they provide a link IPv6 address and a user space IPv6 address range.
    The IPv6 address at your end of the tunnel is not your IPv6 range.

Please provide a screenshot of the IPv6 screens.

Ian M
  • Tunnel is with Hurricane I think...  I took some great screenshots, but it seems my skills are quickly deteriorating as I can't seem to attach them to this thread...  I click the "Insert Image" button and it asks me for a URL..  I really don't want to setup a website for all of my screenshots..  Is there not a way to just upload the shot?  yeesh.....
  • I did all this yesterday, yes throw out any IPv4 concepts, do all this;

* Interfaces & Routing->IPv6, Enable on global tab and fill in both sections in the Tunnel Broker Tab.

* Say the HE.NET end of the tunnel is at ***::1 , the UTM puts a new virtual interface in at ***::2  (you can see this in Support->Advanced->Interfaces table.

* Take the next IP up and assign it to your existing Internal Interface , eg ***:3 , so now it has both an IPv4 address and an IPv6 address

* Now back to Interfaces&Routing->IPv6->Prefix Advertisement, and add a new prefix and select use the Internal LAN Interface when doing so, set DNS server 1 as the same IPv6 address as you just set your internal LAN to use ***::3  (I'm assuming your using the sophos UTM as a DNS server for your LAN)

* Over to Network Services->DNS->Forwarders , and add the google IPv6 DNS servers.

* Network Services->DNS->Global and in the allowed networks you *may* need to add 'Link Local IPv6' I added as defined as fe80::/10

* Finally reboot both the UTM and your clients, and things should start to work.
  • Fred87, I had to log in just to say thank you for this detailed write up of how to get IPv6 enabled and functional with HE.net. Seems everyone is switching over to SixXs network and didn't find any other guides around. 

So again, thank you!
  • HE.net is the best. SixXs is the one-man show of someone who does things as it pleases him. Have a problem? You're out of luck because SixXs's Admin doesn't care.
  • So, going back to my original post.....  I have IPv6 configured and working....  Always have..  What I don't understand is how clients are able to route to the internet when no default GW is defined via stateless IP address assignment.  I can statically configure an IPv6 IP with a GW, but how does the machine know where the next hop is without stateless/auto advert automatically assigning a default GW?
  • So, going back to my original post.....  I have IPv6 configured and working....  Always have..  What I don't understand is how clients are able to route to the internet when no default GW is defined via stateless IP address assignment.  I can statically configure an IPv6 IP with a GW, but how does the machine know where the next hop is without stateless/auto advert automatically assigning a default GW?

First up, when you say stateless, are you meaning stateless autoconfiguration (SLAAC) or stateless with DHCPv6.

I'm going to assume that you mean SLAAC for the moment.

What makes you think your client isn't being given a default gateway as part of the communication with the router?

I've got this in front of me;

IPv6 Fundamentals: A Straightforward Approach to Understanding IPv6

Which states (pg 183,184);
     (paraphrasing)

In the process of the IPv6 unicast routing setup the client machine is either offered a router advertisement message, or it requests a router solicitation via a multicast broadcast to FF02::2

and goes on to say;

Q - "It also gets the prefix length,MTU, and other information from the Router Advertisement message. The default gateway is Router R1's link-local address, the source address of the Router Advertisement, and added to PC1' default router list."

That's also stated here;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/97586/dynamic-address-assignment-ipv6-using-slaac-and-dhcp

, in much less detail.

Edit;
    I think I get what your trying to ask now...
    If the router isn't doing NAT how does the traffic get out of the gateway if its 'link-local'?

Confusing to me too!
    Hitting google, it seems that whilst link-local traffic cannot be *forwarded* , it may be *routed*?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-version-6-ipv6/113328-ipv6-lla.html

http://serverfault.com/questions/412039/ipv6-hosts-configure-default-route-with-routers-link-local-address

Q - "IPv6 back-to-back routing is entirely based on link-local addresses as a consequence it is normal to see the router considering the gateway link-local."

At least I think thats what's going on.
    If anyone knows better please chip in!
  • fred87, I really appreciate your response and info here.  I posted this original question back in January and at that time I *think I was talking about SLAAC.  I don't think you can do stateless with DHCPv6 with the Sophos UTM while using the IPv4 tunnel for IPv6... As apposed to actually getting an IPv6 subnet directly from the ISP serving a phsyical WAN interface.

Anyway, with my lack of REAL world experience of IPv6 my research of the new protocol back in January has all been purged.  I just don't use it..  EVER.  When I tried it though back in January, I couldn't understand why the IP address assigned from Hurricane to my clients was being routed when none of the clients showed a default gateway..  It was brain twisting.  How can it route if there isn't a default gateway with a *routable IP address I kept asking....  It still worked...  Whether I manually assigned the correct default gateway or let it autoconfigure.  I just don't understand why and was trying to wrap my head around it.

The Link local assignment I believe was also in place, but how can a link local default gateway assignment work without some kind of NAT magic taking place?  Does the router look at the source Link local network and automatically translate it for the world?  Is that just built in based on the public network the local router is already aware of?