This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hourly Spikes in CPU Usage on UTM 120 Appliance

I have a home UTM in a virtual machine and a UTM 120 appliance at a small business office. CPU usage levels are very low (below 5%) on both UTMs, except:

Every hour, exactly on the hour, the daily executive reports from the UTM appliance show a brief spike at 40% cpu utilization. It happens all day and all night. There is no corresponding spike on the home UTM virtual machine.

I cannot tell if the sudden rise in CPU utilization on the UTM 120 appliance is caused by an hourly jump in network traffic such as from the office server or something on the Internet, or whether it might be internal to the UTM 120 appliance itself, such as a cron job.

I have looked in the logs on the UTM appliance, but do not see anything related. I have also watched the real time displays on the hour - again nothing interesting.

Can you suggest a hint about where I can look to figure out this mystery?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Please Up2Date to 9.08 and tell us if the issue is resolved by that.  If not, try watching top when high CPU occurs.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I had something similar happen about 2-3 months back where CPU usage was just making everything unusable and I did the postgres rebuild.  That fixed it.  So I went ahead and did that same postgres rebuild today, did the firmware update to 9.308-16, which also rebooted the unit.  Seems to be fine now for the past 2 hours with no spikes.  Not sure if it's something that comes back over time?  I will watch I guess.
  • I had something similar happen about 2-3 months back where CPU usage was just making everything unusable and I did the postgres rebuild.  That fixed it.  So I went ahead and did that same postgres rebuild today, did the firmware update to 9.308-16, which also rebooted the unit.  Seems to be fine now for the past 2 hours with no spikes.  Not sure if it's something that comes back over time?  I will watch I guess.
Children
No Data