This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hourly Spikes in CPU Usage on UTM 120 Appliance

I have a home UTM in a virtual machine and a UTM 120 appliance at a small business office. CPU usage levels are very low (below 5%) on both UTMs, except:

Every hour, exactly on the hour, the daily executive reports from the UTM appliance show a brief spike at 40% cpu utilization. It happens all day and all night. There is no corresponding spike on the home UTM virtual machine.

I cannot tell if the sudden rise in CPU utilization on the UTM 120 appliance is caused by an hourly jump in network traffic such as from the office server or something on the Internet, or whether it might be internal to the UTM 120 appliance itself, such as a cron job.

I have looked in the logs on the UTM appliance, but do not see anything related. I have also watched the real time displays on the hour - again nothing interesting.

Can you suggest a hint about where I can look to figure out this mystery?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • did you solve this?  I also have office an home UTMs doing the same thing.  Every hour at the same time they become somewhat unresponsive with high CPU.  I can't even webadmin without 30-60 second delays on page loads.  Rest of the hour they are around 10% CPU.
  • did you solve this?  I also have office an home UTMs doing the same thing.  Every hour at the same time they become somewhat unresponsive with high CPU.  I can't even webadmin without 30-60 second delays on page loads.  Rest of the hour they are around 10% CPU.
Children

Sorry to be slow in responding, but I was away and it took a little time to do the research. 

The answer is yes, the hourly CPU spikes went away on the UTM 120 appliance. The hourly CPU spikes appeared every day in the daily reports until Up2Date installed version 9.210020. The update was installed on 14 December 2014, but I do not know how long it was available before I approved the install. After installing version 9.210020, the CPU spikes disappeared.

I have a software UTM in a virtual machine at home. It was already offered and running version 9.3****** before the UTM 120 appliance. It has much more CPU and RAM than the UTM 120, so I did not notice the CPU spikes. If they existed at all, they may have been too low to notice, "in the noise".

I hope this helps.