This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hourly Spikes in CPU Usage on UTM 120 Appliance

I have a home UTM in a virtual machine and a UTM 120 appliance at a small business office. CPU usage levels are very low (below 5%) on both UTMs, except:

Every hour, exactly on the hour, the daily executive reports from the UTM appliance show a brief spike at 40% cpu utilization. It happens all day and all night. There is no corresponding spike on the home UTM virtual machine.

I cannot tell if the sudden rise in CPU utilization on the UTM 120 appliance is caused by an hourly jump in network traffic such as from the office server or something on the Internet, or whether it might be internal to the UTM 120 appliance itself, such as a cron job.

I have looked in the logs on the UTM appliance, but do not see anything related. I have also watched the real time displays on the hour - again nothing interesting.

Can you suggest a hint about where I can look to figure out this mystery?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Both UTMs are currently configured with Automatic log file deletion set to "Never delete log files".

I said "Reporting." [;)]
    First I want to set up a secure public key login and change the SSH port before enabling the console.

Smart solution. Grab putty and puttygen from UTM Tools.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Both UTMs are currently configured with Automatic log file deletion set to "Never delete log files".

I said "Reporting." [;)]
    First I want to set up a secure public key login and change the SSH port before enabling the console.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • I said "Reporting." [;)]

Cheers - Bob

Yes - you said "reporting". Sorry I did not pay closer attention. Now I understand what you meant. 

REPORTING: 
    At the moment, everything is checked and set for the default 3 months, on both the home UTM virtual machine and the office UTM 120.

TOP:
    I set up an SSH session with a public key and watched top. Several things happened quickly, and I need to look at it again. mdw.plx grabbed all the CPU briefly at the end, but several other processes grabbed CPU before that. I was watching for postgres, but it was not one of them. 

All of the elevated CPU action happened quickly, spanning no more than 30 seconds or so. Perhaps 4 or 5 of the default 5-second intervals for top. The UTM's clock showed 59 minutes and some seconds past the hour. It did not start on the hour. 

More to follow...