This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ipv6 prefix delegation over pppoe

Hi,

I'm trying to get ipv6 working.
The dutch provider xs4all gives each end-user a /48 prefix ip addres space.
When I connect to this provider with a Linux box or fritzbox , it seems that I get a /64 prefix delegated for the lan.

However , with UTM , I can't get it working.

I tried with two recent versions of the software appliance

asg-9.109-1.1
asg-9.200-11.1

They're currently running on a esxi5.1 platform.

When using asg-9.109-1.1 , I get sometimes a /48 prefix delegated (visible in the ipv6 menu) but nothing is delegated to the lan interface , even I enter :: in it, or another address in the delegated subnet.

When using asg-9.200-11.1 , i'm getting no delegation at all. 

Of course the automatic renumbering is active in both cases.

In all tests i've taken the time to timeout the previous delegation of the provider.

In all tests i've tested with two different wan setups. With or without VDSL active (just with or without vlan tag).
The behaviour is the same both are working fine with ip4v , and not with ipv6 pd.

I'm able to provide required logging whenever needed.

Kind regards,

Roel

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

Ok, here is my experience of getting IPV6 working on the Sophos UTM over PPPOE.  I am with Aaisp in the UK if that helps anyone.

I am starting from a new configuration on a factory reimaged unit.

First go through the wizard as normal and set up the PPPOE to your ISP.  Make any changes you want to, then when ready to set up IPV6, do the following:

On Interfaces and Routing | IPV6, enable IPV6 support on the UTM.  It will show no advertised subnets.

In Interfaces and Routing | Interfaces, go to your External interface and tick the box to ensure it is the default gateway for IPV6.

Now go back to Interfaces and Routing | IPV6, and you should see the subnets you have been allocated.

You now need to assign a static address to the UTM.  I picked the first address in my subnet (a /64), and went to Interfaces and Routing | Interfaces | Internal, and set up the IP address with a /64 subnet.  You will be told if you make a mistake at this point.

Now go to Interfaces and Routing | IPV6 | Prefix Advertisements and create a new advertisement.  You will be asked for DNS servers, I chose the IPV6 address of the internal interface as my DNS server.  I left all options as default.  This will create a DHCPV6 scope as well but will be hidden.  This means that clients using DHCPV6 will work.

At this point I rebooted my PC and got IPV6 straight away.  The only issue I found with this was I was being NATted due to the NAT rule which is set up to NAT traffic coming from the internal network and use the WAN address.  This is fine for IPV4 but not IPV6.  I therefore created a network called Internal (IPV4 Network) and assigned the addresses 192.168.0.0/24 to it.  I then amended the NAT rule to use this network and not the default internal network which also included the IPV6 subnet.  At this point HTTP traffic is still coming from the WAN address, but this is due to the web proxy running on the UTM.  If you disable web protection, the system works as advertised.  Also, if you use SSH or other traffic, the correct IP is used.

I don’t believe IPV6 is broken on the UTM over PPPOE, you just need to configure it as the default gateway.  Furthermore it would be good if the system wouldn’t automatically NAT IPV6 traffic.

Hope this helps,
    Andrew.
  • Hi,

Ok, here is my experience of getting IPV6 working on the Sophos UTM over PPPOE.  I am with Aaisp in the UK if that helps anyone.

I am starting from a new configuration on a factory reimaged unit.

First go through the wizard as normal and set up the PPPOE to your ISP.  Make any changes you want to, then when ready to set up IPV6, do the following:

On Interfaces and Routing | IPV6, enable IPV6 support on the UTM.  It will show no advertised subnets.

In Interfaces and Routing | Interfaces, go to your External interface and tick the box to ensure it is the default gateway for IPV6.

Now go back to Interfaces and Routing | IPV6, and you should see the subnets you have been allocated.

You now need to assign a static address to the UTM.  I picked the first address in my subnet (a /64), and went to Interfaces and Routing | Interfaces | Internal, and set up the IP address with a /64 subnet.  You will be told if you make a mistake at this point.

Now go to Interfaces and Routing | IPV6 | Prefix Advertisements and create a new advertisement.  You will be asked for DNS servers, I chose the IPV6 address of the internal interface as my DNS server.  I left all options as default.  This will create a DHCPV6 scope as well but will be hidden.  This means that clients using DHCPV6 will work.

At this point I rebooted my PC and got IPV6 straight away.  The only issue I found with this was I was being NATted due to the NAT rule which is set up to NAT traffic coming from the internal network and use the WAN address.  This is fine for IPV4 but not IPV6.  I therefore created a network called Internal (IPV4 Network) and assigned the addresses 192.168.0.0/24 to it.  I then amended the NAT rule to use this network and not the default internal network which also included the IPV6 subnet.  At this point HTTP traffic is still coming from the WAN address, but this is due to the web proxy running on the UTM.  If you disable web protection, the system works as advertised.  Also, if you use SSH or other traffic, the correct IP is used.

I don’t believe IPV6 is broken on the UTM over PPPOE, you just need to configure it as the default gateway.  Furthermore it would be good if the system wouldn’t automatically NAT IPV6 traffic.

Hope this helps,
    Andrew.
Children
  • adhodgson: sorry not helpful, what you describe is a complete workaround of a not working prefix delegation. When you use Masquarading you can basicly put on whatever prefix you would like.

this is how it supposed to look: (assigned a /54 from my /48 through my Lancom) - UTM does not do PPPoE for me anymore.