This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot access certain websites - No Proxy

I am getting some strange behavior recently on my computer not being able to access certain websites. We are running 8.304 and my computer is not going through our proxy, however the rest of the network is. They can all access the websites i cannot. I have a firewall rule in place to allow my computer all access in and out. As soon as i enter the proxy details in to my browser i can then access the websites. Any ideas? I want to stay off the proxy for my computer still.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Open the Firewall and Intrusion Prevention Live Logs, enter your PC's IP in the Filter box in each and then try an access.  What's being blocked?

Another thought: Could this be a DNS issue?  You might compare what you have to DNS Best Practice.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks Bob, 

i was thinking a DNS issue, but haven't yet looked into this. I will remove the proxy settings from my browser and keep an eye on the intrusion prevention log. I was looking at the Firewall one yesterday but nothing appeared in there for my ip. Is strange because i am now able to access those websites that i couldn't yesterday...

I'll post my results in the next few days.

Chris
  • Hi Bob, 

here is what i found, i checked the Firewall log and the Intrusion Preventions logs and my IP is no where to be seen. As for DNS, here is my current setup:

2 x Internal DNS servers.
    DHCP assigns all clients DNS with the 2 DNS servers and the gateway with the Astaro IP.
    Forwarders are disabled on the DNS servers.
    Astaro DNS > Global > Allowed Networks = Empty
    Astaro DNS > Forwarders = Internal DNS Server 1 and Server 2
    Astaro DNS > Forwarders > Use Forwarders = Ticked and ISP DNS IP addresses present
    Astaro DNS >Request Routing = Empty

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Chris
  • Yes, Chris, you might want to follow the link above to DNS Best Practice.

Also, do you have a Firewall Allow rule for 'Internal -> DNS -> Internet'?  What about a Masquerading rule 'Internal (Network) -> External'?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob, 

i had a look through the DNS settings on that post and will try to implement when the Network is down. 

As for the other points, we have the DNS Firewall rule. We also have the Masquerading rule, however its currently set to Internal (Network) > Uplink Interfaces. Should i change this to WAN?

Thanks, Chris.