This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[SOLVED]DNS best practice?

There are two ways to configure DNS:

One way:
- Allowing DNS outgoing for your internal nameservers
- internal nameservers forwarding to ISP-DNS
- ASG pointing to internal nameservers 

Another way:
- ASG forwarding to ISP-nameservers
- "request routing" on ASG for internal domain pointing to internal nameservers
- internal nameservers forwarding to ASG

Which way do you use? And why? Which is "officially preferred"?
Both configurations seem working good for me, we run the first alternative on our cluster, the second in branch offices without internal dns (domain dns reachable via site2site-vpn).

Thanks for your ideas!
Thomas

BAlfson's DNS Best Practice's post has been moved to it's own highlighted thread here: https://community.sophos.com/utm-firewall/f/recommended-reads/122972/dns-best-practice
[edited by: FloSupport at 11:12 AM (GMT -7) on 18 Sep 2020]
Parents
  • Mr. BAlfson

I need clarification on the DNS best practices.
    I recently tried to OpenVPN to PrivateInternetAccess from a device_A on Internal#1, and it wouldn't work

Previously I did successfully connected to a remote openvpn server from device_A from within Internal#1 all I had to do is create a firewall rule that allowed device_A + ANY -> static-Public-IP of the remote server device, and it work flawlessly.

going back to the PrivateInternetAccess issue, they do not provide static IPs but names, to reach their openvpn gateways,
    at first it did not connect at all with a rule like this device_A + ANY -> privateinternetaccess_dns_name
    then I modified the rule temporarely like this device_A + ANY -> internetIPv4
    that allowed device_A to connect to PIA gateway ( let's call them like that from now on).
    but
    when tunneled to PIA's gateway , 
    device_A can ping Google
    can traceroute Google
    can nslookup Google,
     but can't display it's webpages in FireFox

I contacted them , to learn that they might be messing the DNS normal behavior, that explained , I think , why my first rule wouldn't work...
    so 
    I began looking at my DNS settings in the UTM_9 , wich led me to this post, 

in the different tabs I got in the UTM 
    GLOBAL-> I have all my Internal interfaces listed there
    FORWARDERS -> I have the 2 OpenDNS's  DNS servers address + unchecked ISP thing,
    but 'currently assigned forwarder' displays my ISP's IP...
    REQUEST ROUTING -> is empty
    STATIC ENTRIES -> are now network definitions, so it's empty
    DYNAMIC DNS -> contain 1 service that I use to find my UTM when I'm away

am I doing anything wrong? 
    could I change something to improve my DNS situation?
    because before trying PIA , I could openvpn from  device_A ( not the UTM client )  to other remote locations just fine,
  • Mr. BAlfson

I need clarification on the DNS best practices.
    I recently tried to OpenVPN to PrivateInternetAccess from a device_A on Internal#1, and it wouldn't work

Previously I did successfully connected to a remote openvpn server from device_A from within Internal#1 all I had to do is create a firewall rule that allowed device_A + ANY -> static-Public-IP of the remote server device, and it work flawlessly.

going back to the PrivateInternetAccess issue, they do not provide static IPs but names, to reach their openvpn gateways,
    at first it did not connect at all with a rule like this device_A + ANY -> privateinternetaccess_dns_name
    then I modified the rule temporarely like this device_A + ANY -> internetIPv4
    that allowed device_A to connect to PIA gateway ( let's call them like that from now on).
    but
    when tunneled to PIA's gateway , 
    device_A can ping Google
    can traceroute Google
    can nslookup Google,
     but can't display it's webpages in FireFox

I contacted them , to learn that they might be messing the DNS normal behavior, that explained , I think , why my first rule wouldn't work...
    so 
    I began looking at my DNS settings in the UTM_9 , wich led me to this post, 

in the different tabs I got in the UTM 
    GLOBAL-> I have all my Internal interfaces listed there
    FORWARDERS -> I have the 2 OpenDNS's  DNS servers address + unchecked ISP thing,
    but 'currently assigned forwarder' displays my ISP's IP...
    REQUEST ROUTING -> is empty
    STATIC ENTRIES -> are now network definitions, so it's empty
    DYNAMIC DNS -> contain 1 service that I use to find my UTM when I'm away

am I doing anything wrong? 
    could I change something to improve my DNS situation?
    because before trying PIA , I could openvpn from  device_A ( not the UTM client )  to other remote locations just fine,
Children
No Data