This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

==proxy smtp: LOCAL DELIVERY==

Hi everybody!!!!
i allready posted a previous message about my probleme but no response .... [:(]

I installed on the same machine ASL Ver.4 and CommuniGate pro (mail server application) and when i try to deliver messages to localhost, i get an error message :

amine@test.fr -> postmaster@test.fr
Subject:
Content Scanner: [message processed ok]
Cause: 2003-03-26 11:51:35 postmaster@test.fr R=static_1 defer (-1): remote host address is the local host
*** Frozen

what i have to configure in order to allow the localhost delivery??? 
thank you for your responses....i really need this function.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I've never done this with Astaro so I can't tell you exactly how to do it, but it looks like you are running into problems because you are using the SMTP proxy, which listens on TCP port 25, and then you are running a mail server software which will also try to listen on TCP port 25.  Two running applications cannot listen on the same port.

The SMTP proxy won't deliver to localhost, because it will be delivering mail to itself and it will just loop over and over again, consuming all of your system resources as more and more e-mails start looping.  That behavior prevents the loops from happening.

You may be able to get it to work if you disable the SMTP proxy and try to let the CommuniGate software run by itself.  You won't be able to run both a mail server and SMTP proxy on the same box (at least when configuring through the WebAdmin... there is probably always a way if you know how the hack the OS).  

I've set up an e-mail scanner (TrendMicro VirusWall) and an e-mail server to run on the same box, but the e-mail server must be configured to run on a non-standard port (TCP 2525, for example) and the e-mail scanner which listens on port 25 knows to forward all inbound e-mails to localhost on port 2525.  If it tried to deliver to localhost on port 25, it would deliver to itself and start a loop, as I mentioned above.  I don't see any way to configure the destination port in the WebAdmin, so I don't think you can do this configuration with Astaro.  

If you want to use both the SMTP proxy and the CommuniGate software your best bet is to run the two products separately.  It will save you a lot of trouble with the configuration, and in the long run.  I also doubt (but don't know for sure) that you can receive support on an Astaro firewall with other products installed on it.  In addition, it is never recommended to run other applications on your firewall, because a vulnerability in the application may give an attacker access to your firewall.