This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basic Guidance on Firewall Rules, Terminology and Symbols for a Beginner

I am trying to get used to the UTM using web interface and have no simple guide to the terminology and symbols.  For example on setting up a firewall rule, when an arrow points to "any" with a globe icon, does this mean any interface on the wan or does it include all interfaces including internal interfaces?

On an arrow there is sometimes a symbol which suggests a comment or something similar but not on all arrows.  This is true for red or green arrows.  What does this symbol mean?

Sorry to be so dumb but I would appreciate a basic manual reference which I can read on paper not on a screen.  Where may I find this in pdf form please?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Budgie2,

Thank you for contacting the Sophos Community.

For some basic information on icons you can click the Help Button on your UTM and then go to Web Admin >> Buttons and Icons.

As per the ANY here is the definition

As per the Arrow color it would mean one of this things

• Green = Allow: The connection is allowed and traffic is forwarded.
    • RED = Drop: Packets matching a rule with this action will be silently dropped.
    • Yellow = Reject: Connection requests matching rules with this action will be actively rejected.

IF you want a guide with more definitions you can check this URL or use the Help Button in the UTM.

https://docs.sophos.com/nsg/sophos-utm/utm/9.6/pdf/en-us/administration-guide-9.600.pdf

Regards,

Emmanuel (EmmoSophos)
    Technical Team Lead, Global Community Support
    Sophos Support VideosProduct Documentation  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.
  • Hi and many thanks for the reply.  I have noted the Help Button guides but they do not explain my query.  Here is a screen shot of the arrows in question and you can see some arrows have what might be a clip board on them, others have none.  My question is what does the symbol mean, what action put it there and where is the detail.  I still do not have any pdf of a manual.  Does that mean it does not exist?  :-

• As explained already ... the red arrow symbolizes the "packet-drop"

The clipboard marks the "log event" option.

There packets are listed within filrewall logfile and fw-live-log.

Rules without are not visible within live-log.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Hi and very many thanks.  It was the logging clipboard and many thanks for the explanation.

Many thanks to all the others who replied.  Much to learn for me here.

Reply Children
No Data