This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Limiting Bandwidth for specific devices question

Hello to all!

I have an ADSL connection, 8Mbits down / 1Mbit up. My wife is currently working from home and when kids are at the house and use their tablets, they have the amazing ability to consume all bandwidth while watching youtube. So I wanted to limit their two tablets to consume half (4Mbit) of my available download bandwidth.

So what I have done:

1. In QOS -->Status my WAN Interface is set like so:

2. I have created two traffic selectors, one for each device:

3. Then I am proceeding to create a new bandwidth pool with the following settings:

4. After creating it, I slide the button to enable it, but I get the following error:

So it looks like the bandwidth pool is using the uplink max speed. I looked up the online manual and it states that "With a bandwidth pool, you reserve a guaranteed bandwidth for a specific outgoing traffic type" So is this setting only for limiting upload speed?

5. After getting that error I went ahead and created a new throttling rule with the following settings:

I selected Shared because I want both of the tablet to not exceed 4Mbits. Is this the correct thing to do in my case?

Also another question: Does the throttling rule apply only when the QoS is enabled for the specific interface?

Thanks a lot guys!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Geiasou ChriZ,

Configuring QoS is complicated.  I would do this differently.  Start by disabling/deleting what you have except for the External interface where you should uncheck 'Limit Downlink' and leave QoS active for it.

1. Create a Traffic Selector for your wife (I'll assume her name is "Dimitra"): 'Internet IPv4 -> Any -> {wife's IP}'.
    2. Enable QoS on the Internal interface with Uplink at 8Mbps and Downlink at 1Mbps and leaving all boxes unchecked.
    3. Create a Bandwidth Pool on the Internal Interface, guaranteeing 6Mbps to the "Dimitra" traffic.
    4. Create a Traffic Selector for each kid like 'Internet IPv4 -> Any -> {IP of kid 1}'
    5. Create a Download throttling rule on the Internal interface limiting Kids_tablets to 300Kbps. 

Now when she doesn't need the bandwidth, the boys can use it.  If she never uses more than 4Mbps, the kids will get 4Mbps.  If she has a virtual meeting with multiple people and needs 6Mbps, she will have it.  Outbound traffic will now be handled correctly.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Good morning Bob!

Thanks for the additional hint!

I will make sure to set it up this way, because I see that this way I won't be limiting the kids at times I don't need to.[:D]

Cheers!

Sophos XG Home Licence.

Machine: Barracuda F12 appliance (Intel Celeron N3350 CPU, 6GB Ram, 80GB sata SSD)

• Good morning Bob!

Thanks for the additional hint!

I will make sure to set it up this way, because I see that this way I won't be limiting the kids at times I don't need to.[:D]

Cheers!

Sophos XG Home Licence.

Machine: Barracuda F12 appliance (Intel Celeron N3350 CPU, 6GB Ram, 80GB sata SSD)

Children
No Data