This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VDSL PPPoE interface down after config restore

Hi all,

I'm currently offline @home and can't get the main reason. Hope s/o can help me:

I decided to change the UTM's (9.605-1, home license) hostname and did this by creating and importing a backup without unique data. After restart and reconfiguring hostname and admin account the WAN interface eth1 (PPPoE, settings were kept) has state offline and link offline.

I've had a look into the PPPoE log. There the connection has been successfully established. From the shell I can even ping the public IP. A bit weired is: Restarting the device without a connection to the modem it still shows up with IP 0.0.0.0 but Default GW and IPv6 DefGW from the provider.

So I changed the interface to ethernet -> link states up immediately (!) and rebooted. After reboot changed back to PPPoE and Link status is Down again.

Additionally I tried following to get the interface up again:

- changed interface port on Modem (Zyxel Speedlink 5501)  -> PPPoE log seems ok, modem link states up, utm still down.
- changed MAC of eth1 PPPoE adapter -> PPPoE log seems ok, restarting connection with new mac -> modem link states up, utm still down.
- changed nic settings (duplex, speed,...) -> modem link states up, utm still down. 
- did a hardware reset of the modem / config backup to router and again back to modem only -> modem link states up, utm still down. 

I remember I've had that issues when using a cable connection. That was always resolved by a modem reset. Now I don't know how to proceed. Is there a way to fully reset every -maybe- hanging config fragments for the interface using the shell?  Or any other clue?

Really appreciate your help,

kind regards,

LoD

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Thnx Bob,

'til now I tried that only on UTM side. Unfortunately as I'm running the Zyxel in modem mode it's not possible to modify any settings :-(

Yesterday I also tried simple restarting UTM a few times (of course without the expected effort). Finally, the fact that even when rebooting with the modem turned off / no cable in eth1 the UTM webgui showed up with an external DEFAULT GW made me guess there's something wrong with some config files. Logging in to UTM shell I then have had a look at the routing table.

There was no entry with the default gw from the gui.

To cut a long story short I did a factory reset and the line's up again. Logged in to the shell the default gw from the webgui is listed on interface ppp0.

I suppose that for some reason some config files haven't been cleared up after the first restore. Unfortunately I switched from PPPoE to fibre @work so can't test if it's the same on licensed SG. Would be interesting to know though.

Greetinx

LoD