This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DHCP WAN not working after HA failover?

I have the most recent UTM software appliance running in HA mode.  ISP is verizon FIOS (DHCP address on WAN).  I've noticed that when an HA failover occurs, the host that is now master no longer has WAN connectivity - the dashboard shows an error indication for the WAN interface.  If I go into the Interfaces screen, and click the 'renew' button, everything comes up just fine, but this is obviously less than optimal :)  I am using a 24-port edgeswitch, with ports 17, 18 and 19 in VLAN 2.  The two UTM appliances connect to 18 and 19, and the verizon ONT (think cable modem) connects to 17.  At first I thought this was some kind of spanning tree issue, but all 3 ports are configured as edge ports, so they should start working very quickly.  I did the most recent firmware update this AM, and it of course had to update and reboot both nodes.  Both times, the WAN interface in UTM showed as down, with an error indication.   ssh to the master node and I see this:

2019:07:17-07:21:13 gateway-1 dhclient: DHCPREQUEST for XXX on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
2019:07:17-07:29:08 gateway-2 dhclient: DHCPREQUEST for XXX on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
2019:07:17-08:41:01 gateway-1 dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
2019:07:17-08:41:01 gateway-1 dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
2019:07:17-08:41:01 gateway-1 dhclient: DHCPOFFER of XXX from QQQ
2019:07:17-08:41:01 gateway-1 dhclient: DHCPREQUEST for XXX on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
2019:07:17-08:41:01 gateway-1 dhclient: DHCPACK of XXX from QQQ

07:21:13 was when I told the UTM to perform the update.  You can see it did dhcprequest twice, with no answer, then gave up.  08:41:01 is when I noticed I was off the air, and clicked the 'renew' button, at which point it did the full sequence of operations.  I freely admit I'm not that savvy with switching protocols, so I'm not sure what is going on here.  Any help would be appreciated.  As things are now, HA isn't really giving me any benefit, as a failure will cause a failover, but I will still be off the air :(

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I have a random, dumb 8-port netgear I can deploy as the WAN switch just to eliminate any edgeswitch oddities.  Will try that when I get home...

• If that works, try 7.7 in Rulz (last updated 2019-04-17).

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Looking at this again, I find it hard to believe it is STP related.  The ports in question are set for edgeport mode, so it should go quickly.  Also, from the logs, there was only one dhcprequest sent, and it *should* have retried (and if it were STP related, one would think the packet would just get dropped, not give a link error indication.)  Later, when I have the chance to play around, I will reproduce this, and try to get more detailed information.

• Interesting follow-up.  I had node 1 set as preferred node, due to it being a more powerful appliance with more RAM, etc...  Something tickled my memory, so I tried the repro a couple of times.  e.g. power off main appliance, fails over with no issues, power main appliance back up, it comes up, and the failback occurs.  *that* is the one that gets an error on the WAN interface (state ERROR).  clicking on dhcp renew button 'fixes' it.  So I tried an experiment: I set preferred node to none.  Power off main appliance, fails over to backup with no errors as expected, power main back on, comes up as slave.  So far, no surprises.  I then click the reboot button for node 2, and it goes dead, and node 1 takes over *without* any errors!  When node 2 comes back up, it is the slave as expected.  It sounds like there is some wiggy interaction between dhcp client interface (WAN in my case) and preferred node in HA.  I don't at all mind having to manually fail back to node 1 if an issue occurs - what I can't tolerate is the internet being down without manual interaction :(

• Interesting follow-up.  I had node 1 set as preferred node, due to it being a more powerful appliance with more RAM, etc...  Something tickled my memory, so I tried the repro a couple of times.  e.g. power off main appliance, fails over with no issues, power main appliance back up, it comes up, and the failback occurs.  *that* is the one that gets an error on the WAN interface (state ERROR).  clicking on dhcp renew button 'fixes' it.  So I tried an experiment: I set preferred node to none.  Power off main appliance, fails over to backup with no errors as expected, power main back on, comes up as slave.  So far, no surprises.  I then click the reboot button for node 2, and it goes dead, and node 1 takes over *without* any errors!  When node 2 comes back up, it is the slave as expected.  It sounds like there is some wiggy interaction between dhcp client interface (WAN in my case) and preferred node in HA.  I don't at all mind having to manually fail back to node 1 if an issue occurs - what I can't tolerate is the internet being down without manual interaction :(

Children
No Data