This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Uplink balancing vs Active Standby, dual ISP questions

I've got a large number of UTM devices at sites with dual ISPs and we're trying to resolve a 'best practices' question.

We typically have both ISPs active with multipathing / weights set up to put our 'priority' traffic (VOIP and RED Tunnels) on the better ISP, and everything else on the secondary.  This works great until the primary fails, at which point the tunnels fail over to the secondary.  That's not a problem, except that when the primary comes back up, the tunnels never fail back to the primary interface on their own. They can sit on the secondary (weaker) connection for hours, days, or weeks until we manually deactivate and reactivate them.

We're considering going to an Active / Standby setup with dual ISPs to address this issue, however in that configuration, our PRTG service can't properly monitor the backup connection (since it's essentially off).

For those of you on dual ISP setups:

1) How do you make sure RED tunnels (or whatever tunnels) fail back to a primary interface when an outage is resolved?

2) If you're running Active / Standby instead of multipathing, how do you monitor your standby ISP?

Thanks for the guidance.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Folks,

I think this has reached a limitation. As of now, it's not possible to do a failback for the RED tunnels to a primary interface once an outage is resolved. This is a really good feature request and I would recommend you to raise it here. I am going to discuss the possibility of this with someone from the Development team.

There's a feature of Failback available now in Sophos XG but that still does not satisfy your requirements for Failback in RED devices. I'm going to post again once I've some more details or news.

Regards

Jaydeep

• Hi Folks,

I think this has reached a limitation. As of now, it's not possible to do a failback for the RED tunnels to a primary interface once an outage is resolved. This is a really good feature request and I would recommend you to raise it here. I am going to discuss the possibility of this with someone from the Development team.

There's a feature of Failback available now in Sophos XG but that still does not satisfy your requirements for Failback in RED devices. I'm going to post again once I've some more details or news.

Regards

Jaydeep

Children
  • This is a glaring oversight considering we have decade old Junipers with this functionality... 

So our options are either:

1) Risk having our tunnels be tied to the incorrect interface for long periods of time in an Active/Active scenario

2) Have our ISPs configured in Active / Standby, which fixes the tunnel issue but prevents us from properly monitoring the standby interface or doing any proper load balancing.

I hope this sort of basic failover scenario gets considered for future revisions, as this seems like a very common setup to have been overlooked.