This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Join Domain over Site to Site vpn

Hello i have trouble joining domain or log in to domain computer over site to site vpn. All basic troubleshooting has been done.

On client side, dns pointed to remote site DNS/DC server. Nslookup able to look up domain.com. Ping domain.com able to resolve ip and ping -a ip able to resolve DC ip. Port query tool able to get result back for port 389 137 138 139 etc. Firewall rules are any - any -any. Additional rules any -ipsec - any. All additional protection are turned off. Automatic firewall rules are checked on vpn profile.

From client to remote side, i can ping remote telnet smb ...everything except failed joining domain.

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f/management-networking-logging-and-reporting/32415/join-remote-office-pc-s-to-domain  this post seems like a solution but i dont get what i should do. As mention, request routing. I did not find what is request routing. Dnat were mention, but from where to where?

Hope someone able to shed some light. Thank you

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Samuel,

After you follow DNS best practice, the link you provided will make more sense to you.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • UDP 389 didnt not response from remote site. Firewall automatic generate rules came up with green color 389 udp. 

• SamuelIP,

Did you find the resolutions to the issue you stated?  I am having the same exact problem, but have not been able to pin-point what is the cause. I know for sure that it is the UTM causing the issue, as I have set up a test network eliminating the UTM IPsec site to site units and instead used Cisco routers and it works. I have followed all the suggestions and troubleshooting steps that have been mentioned on this forum.

• Hi and welcome to the UTM Community!

What is "the same exact problem" that you're experiencing - joining a domain over a site-to-site IPsec tunnel?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thank you for replying Bob,

Yes, I am having issues joining PCs to a domain over an IPsec site-to-site VPN. Site “A” is where my Domain Controller/DNS server resides and Site “B” is my remote site. Site “B” PCs can ping the Domain Controller/DNS server and even use it as a DNS recursive server. I can see the traffic via Wireshark on the PC querying the DNS and then going out to the Internet. I have used PortQry UI tool using the IP address of the server to test DNS ports and the server answers back the queries provided by the tool, except for resolving the DNS IP address to its own internal FQDN. If I use the internal FQDN, the DNS sends out the query to its forwarder (UTM9) and resolves the Internal name to some obscure IP address.   When I try to add a PC to the domain from Site “B” I can see the query going to the domain/DNS server via Wireshark. The DNS then sends the query out to the forwarder to resolve.

At first, I thought that the problem was the DNS server, due to the symptoms described. As a test, I set up two back-to-back Cisco routers emulating a WAN connection. I then connected the Domain Controller/DNS server to one router’s LAN and a PC to the other router’s LAN. To my surprise, I was able to join the PC to the domain and surf the Internet. The results of my test infer that the Sophos UTM9s are interfering with joining PCs to the domain. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide on this matter. Thanks in advance……

Site A - Domain

UTM9 ver 9.604-2

Configuration:

Network Services:

Network Services-> DNS->Global[Allowed Networks]  (DNS Internal)

Note: {DNS Internal is the IP address of Domain/DNS server}

Network Services-> DNS->DNS Forwarders (DNS Forwarders Group)

Note:{The DNS Forwarders Group consist of 64.6.64.6, 64.6.65.6, 8.8.4.4, and 8.8.8.8}

Network Services-> DNS->Request Routing   (dc.domainname.com->DNS Internal) and (2.168.192.in-addr.arps.->DNS Internal)

DHCP->  DNS parameter set to point to DNS Internal.

Note: {The DNS Internal forwarder is set to point to the UTM only}

Network Protection:

Network Protection ->Firewall Rules

Internal (Network) ---à Site B

Any, 53, 88, 123, 135, 137, 138, 139, 389, 445, 464, 636, 3268, 3269 and 49152-65535

Note: {Rule is at the top for “User created firewall rules” and Any is there for testing only}

Network Protection ->NAT

Site B to DNS Internal

Ports forwarded via NAT to DNS:

53, 88, 123, 135, 137, 138, 139, 389, 445, 464, 636, 3268, and 3269

Site-to-site VPN:

IPsec->Remote Gateway

Gateway type: Initiate connection, Gateway: SiteB Public IP Address, Preshared Key: set, Remote networks: SiteB network.

Advanced: nothing checked.

IPsec->Connections

Remote gateway: (Remote Gateways Name selected), Local interface: External(WAN), Policy: set, Local Networks: Internal(Network).  Automatic firewall rules checked. 

Site B – Remote Site

UTM9 ver 9.604-2

Site A - Domain

UTM9 ver 9.604-2

Configuration:

Network Services:

Note:{The DNS Forwarders Group consist of 64.6.64.6, 64.6.65.6, 8.8.4.4, and 8.8.8.8}

Network Services-> DNS->Request Routing   (dc.domainname.com->DNS Internal) and (2.168.192.in-addr.arps.->DNS Internal)

Network Protection:

Internal (Network) ---à Site A

Any, 53, 88, 123, 135, 137, 138, 139, 389, 445, 464, 636, 3268, 3269 and 49152-65535

Note: {Rule is at the top for “User created firewall rules” and Any is there for testing only}

Site-to-site VPN:

IPsec->Remote Gateway

Gateway type: Initiate connection, Gateway: SiteA Public IP Address, Preshared Key: set, Remote networks: SiteA network.

IPsec->Connections

Remote gateway: (Remote Gateways Name selected), Local interface: External(WAN), Policy: set, Local Networks: Internal(Network).  Automatic firewall rules checked. 

• Thank you for replying Bob,

Yes, I am having issues joining PCs to a domain over an IPsec site-to-site VPN. Site “A” is where my Domain Controller/DNS server resides and Site “B” is my remote site. Site “B” PCs can ping the Domain Controller/DNS server and even use it as a DNS recursive server. I can see the traffic via Wireshark on the PC querying the DNS and then going out to the Internet. I have used PortQry UI tool using the IP address of the server to test DNS ports and the server answers back the queries provided by the tool, except for resolving the DNS IP address to its own internal FQDN. If I use the internal FQDN, the DNS sends out the query to its forwarder (UTM9) and resolves the Internal name to some obscure IP address.   When I try to add a PC to the domain from Site “B” I can see the query going to the domain/DNS server via Wireshark. The DNS then sends the query out to the forwarder to resolve.

At first, I thought that the problem was the DNS server, due to the symptoms described. As a test, I set up two back-to-back Cisco routers emulating a WAN connection. I then connected the Domain Controller/DNS server to one router’s LAN and a PC to the other router’s LAN. To my surprise, I was able to join the PC to the domain and surf the Internet. The results of my test infer that the Sophos UTM9s are interfering with joining PCs to the domain. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide on this matter. Thanks in advance……

Site A - Domain

UTM9 ver 9.604-2

Configuration:

Network Services:

Network Protection:

Internal (Network) ---à Site B

Network Protection ->NAT

Site B to DNS Internal

Ports forwarded via NAT to DNS:

53, 88, 123, 135, 137, 138, 139, 389, 445, 464, 636, 3268, and 3269

Site-to-site VPN:

IPsec->Remote Gateway

Gateway type: Initiate connection, Gateway: SiteB Public IP Address, Preshared Key: set, Remote networks: SiteB network.

IPsec->Connections

Site B – Remote Site

UTM9 ver 9.604-2

Site A - Domain

UTM9 ver 9.604-2

Configuration:

Network Services:

Network Protection:

Internal (Network) ---à Site A

Site-to-site VPN:

IPsec->Remote Gateway

Gateway type: Initiate connection, Gateway: SiteA Public IP Address, Preshared Key: set, Remote networks: SiteA network.

IPsec->Connections

Children
No Data