This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

web usage report filtering negative

Today my CEO asked to generate a monthly report about general usage of the Internet.

I'm working on SG125 with OS 9.601-5

As we are working with Office365, the top sites shown are hopefully related to Microsoft.com, sharepoint.com ..... but there is so much normal activity we have to go deep in the list to find what is not normal professional behavior.

I thought I could use the Filter option to select elements which are not normal but only manage to select positive filtering and not negative.

i.e. :

- I manage to select "facebook.com" which list only facebook activity

- I manage to select "twitter.com" which list only twitter activity

- I cannot exclude "Microsoft.com" so I get facebook, youtube and any other "non professional" website... but all on a same list without Microsoft.com related activity

Is there any kind of regular expression I need to know to filter by exclusion?

Thanks for your feedback.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Bandwidth is your best statistic for usage.   HTTPS-without-Inspection counts sessions, and includes total bandwidth used during the session.   HTTP and HTTPS-with-isnpection will count pages, including bandwidth used for the page.  See the two types of entries can only be combined using the bandwidth measure.

I would start with bandwidth used by Category.   Then you can look at hostnames-by-category or users-by-category when he asks "Why do we have so much bandwidth used for Social Networking?"

• Hi Douglas,

Thanks for that reply.

In fact, the idea is to generate an automatic Monthly report where I can find in one eye shot strange behavior... some sales & marketing users spend a whole day on LinkedIn, Twitter....

Using category may not be relevant on that side.

• Salut Julien and welcome to the UTM Community!

You also can define groups of users for the reports.  Unfortunately, using Backend Groups that depend on Active Directory groups does not work in Reporting, so you must sync all users to the UTM and then build the User Groups manually.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA